Cattleya trianae var. semi-alba flamea ‘Kathleen’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This beauty is blooming again. It ended its last bloom a month ago. I don’t know who Kathleen was, but she sure earns her keep!!

Attachments

• 6D2D0312-C8A9-46C7-96F2-9AB5F1DF27DF.jpeg
    6D2D0312-C8A9-46C7-96F2-9AB5F1DF27DF.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 38
  • AF3C83D7-DC0D-4683-8676-AF1E3CE9BDF8.jpeg
    AF3C83D7-DC0D-4683-8676-AF1E3CE9BDF8.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 36
  • ED5A88E9-6F42-4E59-8410-7DC8CC95F4E5.jpeg
    ED5A88E9-6F42-4E59-8410-7DC8CC95F4E5.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 27
  • A40BA752-9725-4E04-A61E-BB5D85583609.jpeg
    A40BA752-9725-4E04-A61E-BB5D85583609.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 26
Well done. Such a rewarding cultivar. Aren't you glad you got it?

Kathleen is (if my memory is right) the wife of Bill Rogerson, the original owner of this plant.
Yes, thrilled!! It was a large plant when I got it last May (6” pot) that I immediately repotted in 7.5” that its climbing out of (and my most expensive plant so far). From Orchids Ltd., Jerry got a division of Bill Rogerson’s original plant, of which this is a division. Glad to know the origin of the name.
I will say, although expensive, very prolific grower (10 growths now) and bloomer so worth it and very rewarding. There are two other sheaths, don’t know if buds will develop. These buds developed as soon as the last flowers dropped. And a new lead!

I’d be very tempted to take a division of this clone next time you repot it and swap it with someone who has an equally lovely plant!
David
David, you are in Great Britain, so I know you are not able to be interested. However, I do have a friend who is promised a division. And while not the motive, what you give away always multiplies, I believe... and isn't it fun??

Last edited:
Leslie recently showed a trianae coerulea flamea, I showed a trianae ‘Cashen’s’ selfing that became flamea, and now Deb is showing this wonderful semi-alba flamea. I am guessing the genes for flamea in trianae are not simple. I am guessing that it is not easy to preserve the flamea during breeding?

Leslie recently showed a trianae coerulea flamea, I showed a trianae ‘Cashen’s’ selfing that became flamea, and now Deb is showing this wonderful semi-alba flamea. I am guessing the genes for flamea in trianae are not simple. I am guessing that it is not easy to preserve the flamea during breeding?
But the eternal optimist can always hope!

Leslie should be able to tell us more about flammea genes in trianae when he has finished his crossing programme!
I agree,I doubt that it is simple genetics.
Some parents even when they are not flammea, give some flammea offspring. The famous coerulea clone of lueddemanniana, ‘mariauxi’ gives some when crossed to regularly coloured plants.
They are lovely things though, and collected worldwide, I will post some others soon, gaskelliana ‘Maria Victoria’ and mendelli ‘lu’ are both this type.
David

👏👏👏 Well done Deborah. Also glad you were also able to creat a safe place with all your virus testing for this investment. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

That is stunning. I love the intensity of the magenta. And vigorous to boot! Great growing! Another one to add to the wish list...

That is stunning. I love the intensity of the magenta. And vigorous to boot! Great growing! Another one to add to the wish list...
Dr. Leslie Ee posted a photo of his plant last spring, in bloom, and I fell in love with it? I searched and found it because he’s in Canada and can’t ship a division here. Thanks for the appreciation.

Latest posts

Back