Cattleya trianae 'Frills'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
A select plant from the cross of 'Jungle Queen' x 'Tajima', blooming quite late this year. It's a large-growing, vigorous plant. Last summer it pushed out two growths, one early summer and one late summer, and both are going to bloom with one flower each but the newest growth got there first. The other bud is still ~2 weeks out. Interestingly, one bud developed from a green sheath, and the other from a dried up sheath (turned brown back in December). I love the light lavender overlapping petals, but the dorsal is curling more this year than last year. Since it's blooming late, the temperature in the past 3 days as it was opening up jumped into the high 80sF (~29C) so that may have affected the form. Additionally, the petals are still moving around an amazing amount so they haven't completely settled yet. Grows on a south facing window with only natural sunlight.

The most accurate photo color-wise:
C trianae 'Frills' vIII.jpg
At home in the jungle on the windowsill:
C. trianae 'Frills' vI.jpgC trianae 'Frills' vII.jpg

This the a really good shaped trianae. The huge overlapping petals are outstanding.

As for reflexing of the sepals, it is the norm rather than the standard. So it’s not really an issue for the flower aesthetics (except in judging where a little is ok).

Second flower is still opening up, but I grabbed a quick photo while I had the plant out for watering. Once it's done moving around, I'll take some final glamor shots.
Second flower.jpg
For reference, here's the petal width on the first flower:
Petal width.jpg

The second flower ended up not having quite as much overlapping in the petals, but it opened flatter than the first flower, and is also slightly smaller. Overall, I'm very pleased with this plant, it's very vigorous, and seems to be a pretty easy bloomer!
Second Flower black.jpgBoth black.jpgSecond Flower White.jpgBoth White.jpg

Very frilly and pretty, but where's the dorsal?????
Not uncommon for this species, as far as I can tell, only a few very select plants seem to have upright dorsals. It might also be due in part to the lower humidity of growing in my home as opposed to a greenhouse.

Back