Cattleya trianae flammea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was a random eBay purchase a couple of years ago. I bought it because the plant looked very healthy. It arrived labelled as trianae semi alba. Clearly not!
Last years flowers were its first and not very interesting, just ok. See first photo.
86EE3DB4-7A8C-4966-B13E-BD2FE1D5AC46.jpeg
anyway a year on and the next flowering is a whole lot more interesting. It’s now a keeper.
D96D93B4-85D9-4E58-93C1-8D0769A95688.jpeg
227E6D86-834D-4A3A-B193-641E33390C0D.jpeg
quite an improvement! It looks like a different clone, but I assure everyone it isn’t.
David

It is very interesting, i saw similar on my trianaeis.Eg. my mooreana flowered three times, but last one is more colorful, it had never flames on petals, but now it has.I think flower quality improves if plant gets bigger and stronger , not just about flower size, shape or number, but coloration, too.

Agreed dodidoki. Flammeas have a reputation for being a bit and miss from year to year. The bulb on last years blooming was bigger than the two that developed this year. But this year the plant as a whole is bigger. Maybe this is the important point. Root growth has been excellent Both years.

So many genes have to activate and inactivate during flower color development and each of these can be influenced by environmental factors (at least temperature and light exposure) as well as cultural factors, which I think for me centers on how robust the roots appear. No wonder coloration can vary from year to year and grower to grower. While I can't help chasing top genetics and cultivars, I think I would probably be happier with average plants grown optimally than a top awarded plant with only mediocre growth. You can tell by the leaves in your pictures that you got strong growth this year.

So many genes have to activate and inactivate during flower color development and each of these can be influenced by environmental factors (at least temperature and light exposure) as well as cultural factors, which I think for me centers on how robust the roots appear. No wonder coloration can vary from year to year and grower to grower. While I can't help chasing top genetics and cultivars, I think I would probably be happier with average plants grown optimally than a top awarded plant with only mediocre growth. You can tell by the leaves in your pictures that you got strong growth this year.
This I 100% agree with!

Back