Cattleya trianae coerulea flamea ‘Blue Flames’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you all sitting down? Get a coffee or a nice wine and lounge on a nice chair. And let me know what you think of this:

My Brazilian friend and fantastic grower Anderson just sent me a pic of my trianae coerulea flamea that shocked me at the beauty. I was speechless!

At 13 cm and only one flower, it is still a youngling and needs to grow another year or two to see its full potential.

Reminds me of the famous Eureka cultivars. Maybe I should call him ‘Blue Panda’ lol.

49CC14AA-C198-4B4D-8144-DC4D1D134297.jpeg78C77A1F-75AF-427B-B47D-EBDCB777E492.jpeg4C3C0BDC-AA4B-4C9E-A60D-F23213FF8E79.jpeg2C640BC0-DB75-4B33-9FF7-73EAFBD3FC68.jpeg5F8346A9-3536-493C-B097-B048DBD5BF62.jpeg

That’s Anderson’s hand lol.

He was my advisor, guide and translator in my trip to the Amazon. He’s also a dentist and orchid judge in Brazil. Very talented orchid grower and collector of Encyclias.

Very Nice, but where is the coerulea, it just looks like magenta in the photos.

Very Nice, but where is the coerulea, it just looks like magenta in the photos.

You’re not the the first one to question this. Indeed it is a valid question in the cattleya world.

A dark ‘blue’ in cattleya has so much anthocyanin that the grey cast over it looks less, so it appears more ‘magenta’.

If you look at the last pic where a true magenta flower behind it on the right, you will perhaps be able to differentiate the subtlety in the red tones.

It’s the question of a red that’s bluer? Like blue blood steak versus bright red steak.

Also a camera has a hard time to capture this.

It is a hard one, great flower, I just flowered 2 x coeruea's, Cattleya labiata and jenmanii, and they were both blue. But a magenta colour is a hard one to cross your eyes and see, (imagine) blue. Excuse the piggybacked flowers, I saw them outside hanging in the garden and took a phots belatedly when they were passed their prime, first flowering. I crossed both with each other, and they both took. The could do with a repot in 3.5 months when it is spring.

1685430349965.png Labiata
1685430388212.pngjenmanii

It is a hard one, great flower, I just flowered 2 x coeruea's, Cattleya labiata and jenmanii, and they were both blue. But a magenta colour is a hard one to cross your eyes and see, (imagine) blue. Excuse the piggybacked flowers, I saw them outside hanging in the garden and took a phots belatedly when they were passed their prime, first flowering. I crossed both with each other, and they both took. The could do with a repot in 3.5 months when it is spring.

View attachment 40756 Labiata
View attachment 40757jenmanii
Congrats on blooming them. Always a pleasure to see other catt lovers here.

I’ve bloom many blues in those categories and have a few awarded by AOS. Check out my other posts.

So I'm not even going to speculate or imagine the plants value, but the form is very well balanced and full, with the lip fully open and displaying it's self as well as any. I thought of your scoring, where would you take off points. Q. where will the pollen go, there will be many requests. I just looked at some of my trianae coerulea pics, and will post below one of mine from Orquideas del Valle that is absolutely coerulea but the pic suggests otherwise. This getting the actual coerulea color to come through in pics is problematic.

Attachments

• trianae coerulea ODV.jpg
    trianae coerulea ODV.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 1
  • trianae coerulea ODV plant.jpg
    trianae coerulea ODV plant.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I asked Anderson to take a pic side by side with a tipo pink. It’s clearly obvious now to me.

A0D54435-2238-4984-82CA-4779BC8A8E3B.jpeg

How about you? Does the blue shades pop up more?

Last edited:
Sorry, Leslie, I just discovered, that I haven't done the 'Ih, Ah and Oh's, that this flower elicits 😍

I apologize for this rather inarticulate response, but everbody ahead has contributed with the relevant and appropriate praise!

Latest posts

Back