Cattleya trianae amesiana ‘Anja’ SM/DOG

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, amesiana is another color term that I don’t understand well. I think I have mostly seen it applied to labiata, but it must have to do with color of the labellum or part of the labellum. Maybe you or Leslie have a specific definition as applied to Cattleyas?

David, this is a lovely flower, though she has a pale colouration or just therefore the whole flower appears very elegant. 👌 I like it very much.

David, amesiana is another color term that I don’t understand well. I think I have mostly seen it applied to labiata, but it must have to do with color of the labellum or part of the labellum. Maybe you or Leslie have a specific definition as applied to Cattleyas?
The terms amesiana and amoena are often confused even by the experts.

Amoena refers to a white flower that has a light or rosy pink on the distal part of the midlobe of labellum (aka end of lip). This pink is often described fleshy pink

Amesiana has the very same light or rosy pink lip EXCEPT the petals and sepals have a pinkish cast (easily seen if backlit).

In this case, David, this bloom looks more amoena since the petals look pure white. Perhaps do the backlit test to see if any rose tinge nuances are seen?

Latest posts

Back