Cattleya trianae ‘wein (Vienna) 2018’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, you stepped on the word bugging me this month - tipo! I understand that "tipo" is sort of referring to "typical" or maybe it is "type", which must refer to how a species was traditionally viewed, meaning most common for the species. I have to assume that means shape and coloration? At any rate, I am attaching an experiment done by Orchids Limited in which they did a trianae "tipo" sib cross and then colchicine treated the germinated plants with colchicine. This is a first bloom of my plant and Jerry Fischer and I aren't sure that the tetraploid conversion actually happened, but you can see the result. I think my coloration and shape are different from yours, but are they both "tipo"?

IMG_2028.jpeg

Terry, that’s a nice clone but to my untrained eyes I cannot see anything obvious that screams tetraploid. Conversions can be very hit or miss.
Nothing is guaranteed. Many, some or none of the seedlings can be converted.
I understand tipo as meaning nothing more that ‘type’ or common form of the species.
I think that we need to ask our resident expert!

Terry, that’s a nice clone but to my untrained eyes I cannot see anything obvious that screams tetraploid. Conversions can be very hit or miss.
Nothing is guaranteed. Many, some or none of the seedlings can be converted.
I understand tipo as meaning nothing more that ‘type’ or common form of the species.
I think that we need to ask our resident expert!
Terry
is the substance notably heavier

I don't think the plant growth or flower are saying polyploid. Certainly different from the known tetraploid trianae it is sitting next to. I know what colchicine does to patients - a little doesn't relieve the inflammation and too much causes toxicity. It isn't always easy to get the Goldilocks dose. When we used colchicine a lot for gout we would say increase the dose until diarrhea is just starting and then back off. I think the same has to be true in the flask - too little and you just get the regular plants (in my case just a cross of two "tipo" trianae) but too much will kill the sprouting seedlings. I think that oryzalin, an herbicide that also disrupts microtubules involved in cell division may be a little more reliable at producing polyploids and may be safer for the lab people. I think that is what Orchids Limited is mostly using now when they are trying to produce polyploid plants.

In the end, I am just wondering if those of you with lots of trianae experience would put my flower in the "tipo" range! In simple terms, "just a regular old trianae".

I don't think the plant growth or flower are saying polyploid. Certainly different from the known tetraploid trianae it is sitting next to. I know what colchicine does to patients - a little doesn't relieve the inflammation and too much causes toxicity. It isn't always easy to get the Goldilocks dose. When we used colchicine a lot for gout we would say increase the dose until diarrhea is just starting and then back off. I think the same has to be true in the flask - too little and you just get the regular plants (in my case just a cross of two "tipo" trianae) but too much will kill the sprouting seedlings. I think that oryzalin, an herbicide that also disrupts microtubules involved in cell division may be a little more reliable at producing polyploids and may be safer for the lab people. I think that is what Orchids Limited is mostly using now when they are trying to produce polyploid plants.

In the end, I am just wondering if those of you with lots of trianae experience would put my flower in the "tipo" range! In simple terms, "just a regular old trianae".
Tipo means the most common colour form that is occurring in the wild. It doesn’t refer to polyploid status.

Medium pink sepals and petals with a dark lavender lip is the most common trianae found in the wild. So that is the typical colour form or tipo.

If the petals and sepals are darker lavender with a blood red lip, it is the sangretoro form. The petal colour is 2 to 3 times darker than the tipo pink.

The issue arises when the tipo is crossed with sangretoro form with progeny that’s intermediate in colours, aka dark pink. This will be usually refer to as tipo unless they are as dark as the sangretoro parent.

Tipo in other labiate species may differ. For example the tipo forms of schroederae and eldorado is the concolor. And tipo for dowiana is yellow with red lip.

It's, indeed, lovely, David!

Just one comment on the clonal name: unless it's a typing error on your part, David, the person who named the clone seems not to have been in Wien (Vienna) but rather to have looked too deep in his glass of wein (wine)! 🤪

Latest posts

Back