Cattleya trianae ‘wein (Vienna) 2018’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Reaction score
David, you stepped on the word bugging me this month - tipo! I understand that "tipo" is sort of referring to "typical" or maybe it is "type", which must refer to how a species was traditionally viewed, meaning most common for the species. I have to assume that means shape and coloration? At any rate, I am attaching an experiment done by Orchids Limited in which they did a trianae "tipo" sib cross and then colchicine treated the germinated plants with colchicine. This is a first bloom of my plant and Jerry Fischer and I aren't sure that the tetraploid conversion actually happened, but you can see the result. I think my coloration and shape are different from yours, but are they both "tipo"?

IMG_2028.jpeg

Reaction score
Terry, that’s a nice clone but to my untrained eyes I cannot see anything obvious that screams tetraploid. Conversions can be very hit or miss.
Nothing is guaranteed. Many, some or none of the seedlings can be converted.
I understand tipo as meaning nothing more that ‘type’ or common form of the species.
I think that we need to ask our resident expert!

tomp

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Terry, that’s a nice clone but to my untrained eyes I cannot see anything obvious that screams tetraploid. Conversions can be very hit or miss.
Nothing is guaranteed. Many, some or none of the seedlings can be converted.
I understand tipo as meaning nothing more that ‘type’ or common form of the species.
I think that we need to ask our resident expert!
Terry
is the substance notably heavier

Reaction score
I don't think the plant growth or flower are saying polyploid. Certainly different from the known tetraploid trianae it is sitting next to. I know what colchicine does to patients - a little doesn't relieve the inflammation and too much causes toxicity. It isn't always easy to get the Goldilocks dose. When we used colchicine a lot for gout we would say increase the dose until diarrhea is just starting and then back off. I think the same has to be true in the flask - too little and you just get the regular plants (in my case just a cross of two "tipo" trianae) but too much will kill the sprouting seedlings. I think that oryzalin, an herbicide that also disrupts microtubules involved in cell division may be a little more reliable at producing polyploids and may be safer for the lab people. I think that is what Orchids Limited is mostly using now when they are trying to produce polyploid plants.

In the end, I am just wondering if those of you with lots of trianae experience would put my flower in the "tipo" range! In simple terms, "just a regular old trianae".

Latest posts