Cattleya trianae ‘Aranka Germaske’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another of the vaguely controversial clones that I grow. This one may be a hybrid or a triploid plant from the jungle. It is a reluctant breeder.
CBF99431-DFE4-423D-8691-9528B5F501F9.jpeg
FF128B4F-A09A-4DAC-AECB-4FCBD774C02D.jpeg
whatever it is , it’s a great flower. The plant came from Hilmar Bauch in the early summer and appears to be a new division.
As the flower opened, the rear three bulbs appear to be yellowing in unison. They may need removing soon.
David

Last edited:
Good this new division graced you with a beautiful flower... but alas it is blooming itself to a detriment, losing 3 bulbs to support a bloom. It would be best to encourage the plant to conserve energy and to grow a strong new growth by cutting off flower as soon as you deem you have enjoyed enough on plant.

The flower will last a couple weeks in a vase, so all is not lost.

Dr Leslie may be able to comment on its species/hybrid status

I'm sure, we can be certain, that he has some valuable input! But for a start maybe you could provide an explanatory headline on, what the controversy is about (just so that I, myself, and other like ignoramus'es has a slight gist about, what's at stake)?

Just needs a bosom to give it the complete golden era look!

Well, as age goes forward, my BMI goes up, and I've stopped going to the gym, my pectoralis muscles have deteriorated into a b-cup, maybe even a c-cup. I've, actually, started wondering, whether the next step in my downhill slide in my orchioholism might be to sport a splendiferous corsage?! 😁

Guldal, as far as I understand, this clone first appeared in a shipment of wild collected plants in the USA sent from South America.
So the chances are that it is a wild clone. But some experts consider it a hybrid. I do not know why.
It is also thought by some to be a triploid, hence the good flower quality and reduced fertility.

Oh for the ability to quickly and easily do whole genome analysis of orchids. We could answer the questions about how close to species something is or its likely hybrid status. The deep oral history of where all these plants originated is becoming legend and isn’t retrievable from a source. Many of the stories reside with our most senior experts and growers. When they leave us, we will be left with uncertainty. Jerry Fischer also hinted to me that this cultivar may well be hybrid and I didn’t press him for details.

Back