Cattleya (syn. Laelia) purpurata werkhauseri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the color on the Werkhauseri, very unusual. I once saw a tag that indicated a cross of a Werkhauseri and a Carnea, not in bloom unfortunately, and I couldn't imagine what they were attempting to obtain by such a cross. I wish I saw it in flower. To me it made no sense.

as Werkhauseri is a form of coerulea I would imagine that it would be fairly recessive in any cross with a more ‘normal’ colour form.
Agreed.

Sometimes that kind of cross is done to improve the shape of the werkhauseri as there are more fuller round flower carneas. The sibbing of F1s may produce rounder shaped coeruleas in the F2 generation.

Do you like Wekhauseri better than Schusteriana type?
I think they are different enough to collect all. But my favourite is the purpurata pelorica!

Very rare form... here is a spectacular one from my good friend, an AOS judge in Florida (Lou Llodyga) who graciously allowed me to post his blooming pics before pollination this week.

47E64AB1-624F-4279-BAE9-B7E0D7739D4B.jpeg4F75C90B-4BF9-4B50-924B-0852D343290A.jpeg6930A646-B29F-4ACB-A5A5-3645EC513037.jpeg29B497B5-CCC6-4824-9B1B-BAB746B25F71.jpeg

It’s simply exquisite!

Luckily I’m in line for the second division of this rare beauty!

Last edited:
Never seen one of those. Interesting. I like the effect made by the lines. Does it matter if it is yellow or not deep in the inside of the lip? I've seen with and without.

I think they are different enough to collect all. But my favourite is the purpurata pelorica!

Very rare form... here is a spectacular one from my good friend, an AOS judge in Florida (Lou Llodyga) who graciously allowed me to post his blooming pics before pollination this week.

View attachment 27935View attachment 27936View attachment 27937View attachment 27938

It’s simply exquisite!

Luckily I’m in line for the second division of this rare beauty!
Leslie, OMG!! The white dorsal, the striations and the intense color. I see why you are so smitten!! Absolutely exquisite!!

Leslie,
I have to say that for me, the peloric form isn’t something that I would want to grow. It’s ‘interesting’ but that’s all.
However it is a very different kettle of fish where the flammea mossiaes are concerned. Please post your best clone when it flowers.
Have you tried to prize a division of one of the new forms out of Armando?
David

The various forms of the Cattleya species get descriptive names (e.g. coerulea) but I don't know of a source that lists the described forms for each species. Yes, for the few where something is a var. Occasionally someone talks about a fma. (forma) of something but I don't know if that is an official descriptor or not. Leslie must have a secret judges handbook that lists all this stuff. All of these purpurata forms are certainly not in Chadwick's book!

That werkhauseri is stunning! The name “Steele Blue” reminds me of the movie Zoolander, haha. The veining on the pelorica is beautiful, but I’m still partial to the werkauseri!

Never seen one of those. Interesting. I like the effect made by the lines. Does it matter if it is yellow or not deep in the inside of the lip? I've seen with and without.
The yellow in the throat is not a must unless it is a species that is defined by it like eldorado (syn. wallisii).

Leslie,
I have to say that for me, the peloric form isn’t something that I would want to grow. It’s ‘interesting’ but that’s all.
However it is a very different kettle of fish where the flammea mossiaes are concerned. Please post your best clone when it flowers.
Have you tried to prize a division of one of the new forms out of Armando?
David
Pelorics are attractive to me if they are balanced. Some can be very obtrusive lol.

I will definitely post my mossiae flamea when in bloom. It has 4 bulbs with buds!!!

I have not asked Armando for the divisions yet. I would think it would be in the USD 800-1500$ or even 2000$ range. The best ones in Brazil are that price range.

The various forms of the Cattleya species get descriptive names (e.g. coerulea) but I don't know of a source that lists the described forms for each species. Yes, for the few where something is a var. Occasionally someone talks about a fma. (forma) of something but I don't know if that is an official descriptor or not. Leslie must have a secret judges handbook that lists all this stuff. All of these purpurata forms are certainly not in Chadwick's book!
Terry, there is a Brazilian book on purpuratas by Lou Menes, where she describes all the colour forms.

Also I heard a great purpurata talk by Sergio of Olompia Orchids from California of the ways the color forms can be divided by the markings of the lip.

In AOS, there is no training on the various color forms of purpuratas as there is too many. Usually similar colors are judged against each other like the werkhauseris and then the average is compared against all purps. I hope to attend a purp show in Brazil to learn more.

Side note that may be a bit confusing: Colors are designated as forma or fm. and not as varieties (var.). This means a color form is not a 'new' variety of the species. To be designated as variety, you need to have floral difference in shape and markings such as a rounder or longer petal. So technically this flower is Cattleya purpurata fm. werhauseri (coerulea).

Terry, there is a Brazilian book on purpuratas by Lou Menes, where she describes all the colour forms.

Also I heard a great purpurata talk by Sergio of Olompia Orchids from California of the ways the color forms can be divided by the markings of the lip.

In AOS, there is no training on the various color forms of purpuratas as there is too many. Usually similar colors are judged against each other like the werkhauseris and then the average is compared against all purps. I hope to attend a purp show in Brazil to learn more.

Side note that may be a bit confusing: Colors are designated as forma or fm. and not as varieties (var.). This means a color form is not a 'new' variety of the species. To be designated as variety, you need to have floral difference in shape and markings such as a rounder or longer petal. So technically this flower is Cattleya purpurata fm. werhauseri (coerulea).
Thanks, Leslie. That was how I was picturing the difference between forma and variety. I assume the different color forms of other species are as difficult to pin down as purpurata.

Latest posts

Back