Cattleya species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful collection of cattleyas! I would love to get Cattleya rex and it is an amazing species! Saw it for sale 25 years ago from a guess speaker at a show for $50 but I did not have the money to buy it.

My favourite rex is this flamea from the internet. I think I’m close to finding the owner to beg for a division!

232629C7-93CC-4740-944A-255D05BED242.jpeg
I’ve also been trying to reserve a select rex flamea from PeruFlora for years but Manolo keeps deferring until a great one shows up. One day!

Leslie,
now I’ve flowered my warneri ‘graue’ I too am I love with this species. That flammea is very nice! For me the form is just about perfect. Not too full.
I have an unawarded concolor and an awarded alba called schwanensee that should both flower next spring. Really looking forward to that.
There are some fantastic photos on line of this species from shows in South America.
David

These are some of the warneri divisions that I have, of which the albescents are my favourite.

E0BEC412-74D1-4188-B67D-0649BC14B8EE.jpeg
04589AA4-D90E-4D63-A9B8-8CAC2E641AD3.jpeg

347EB018-CBFB-45C9-86C6-B3DB955EB3DD.jpeg

Pic 1 (clockwise from top left):
warneri semialba ‘Itabarina’
warneri albescent ‘AWZ’
warneri albescent ‘Dona Luerdes’
warneri flamea

Pic 2: warneri albescent (first bloom seedling)

Pic 3: warneri coerulea ‘Purple Hill’

Last edited:
Leslie,
I agree about the albescens clones. They are spectacular. I tried to grow a mericlone of Santa Teresa a few years ago but it was a weak thing and eventually died,
David
ps the coerulea clone has amazing colour.

Leslie,
Apropos of nothing much, here is the mendelli pincelada ‘Lu’ that arrived a few months ago from Max Strauss. It is his photo.
Your advice about establishing the imported plant was critical and it’s now throwing several new roots and a second growth at the usual time of year for the northern hemisphere. It ha several mature bulbs so this growth could end up flowering,

IMG_0925.JPG

View attachment 26737
Labiata semialba flamea 'Brennandianna' (a select from the collection of a private grower in Brazil who did a limited mericlone run of a hundred or so plants; this plant was supposedly collected from the jungle, and one of the plants I would test against the labiata standard)
Incredibly beautiful plants in this threat, but that one is very special and unique. Leslie, you say that there are mericlones. Do you know a source? I can't find them in the internet.

Leslie,
Apropos of nothing much, here is the mendelli pincelada ‘Lu’ that arrived a few months ago from Max Strauss. It is his photo.
Your advice about establishing the imported plant was critical and it’s now throwing several new roots and a second growth at the usual time of year for the northern hemisphere. It ha several mature bulbs so this growth could end up flowering,

View attachment 26762
That’s a beautiful cultivar.

I only have one mendelii flamea semialba called ‘Harlequin’ from Katia Orchids in Medellin, Colombia in below pic.

1EC7FF89-934C-495B-8892-37ADEDE78638.jpeg

Incredibly beautiful plants in this threat, but that one is very special and unique. Leslie, you say that there are mericlones. Do you know a source? I can't find them in the internet.
Unfortunately this mericlone is sold privately within Brazil only. The only way I got it was to beg my Brazilian importer Orquidero Americana nurseries in Sao Paolo to order it specially for me and to include it it my big order.

I have about 50 rex seedlings from Peruflora on their way to the US at the end of this month. Flamea, splash, semi-alba, rosita, and ayacucho forms. Hope to be able to show off their flowers before I'm 50 👴
I have about 50 rex seedlings from Peruflora on their way to the US at the end of this month. Flamea, splash, semi-alba, rosita, and ayacucho forms. Hope to be able to show off their flowers before I'm 50 👴
I can’t access their site... could you post pics of their splash and rosita parents? I’m curious to see what a rosita rex looks like.

I like that our little club has started new chains for specific species (or hybrids) when they have pictures. That makes it easy to search for them. We could add to the chain as we have new information/questions/pictures.

Latest posts

Back