Cattleya (Sophronitis) pygmaea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't this is cutest little thing?! I am having decent success growing a few Sophronitis species. However ever time I try coccinea, it croaks within a year. Grrrr...

View attachment 21386View attachment 21387
Sophronitis species other than cernua are generally challenging to grow: they need cool nights and good humidity and air circulation. One of the best growers of coccinea I know was able occasionally to get two flowers from one stalk, but even she admitted that an extra good flowering one year practically guarantees fewer and smaller ones the next. They also dislike disturbance, often growing best in tree fern pots with broken-up tree fern, moss and
fine bark inside and not repotted frequently.
Your pygmaea is lovely! Whatever you are doing should be continued.

Adorable!!! What wood is it on? Cultural conditions will be very helpful please lol
I am not sure what it is mounted on. It came from Andy's so I am guessing grape vine.

I grow this, brevipedunculata, mantiqueirae, and riograndensis (which I know is not an accepted species) under the same intermediate summer conditions and intermediate to cool winter conditions. Summer lows are between 60-65 and 80-85 are the highs. This summer we have had over a week of 90 degree days and 70 degree nights. But these seem to be fine as long as the humidity stays high (70-80%) and they receive morning sun and daily watering. They are inside for the winter. Nights are 55-60. They are misted daily and water 2-3x perweek. These are grown maybe 12 inches from the led bulbs in the winter. I have had the brevipedunculata and mantiqueirae for 2-3 years. The others a significantly newer. I also have cernua, which I place where ever it is the most convenient.

Latest posts

Back