Cattleya rex 2022

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Mayu' HCC/AOS was awarded last year. This plant put out three growths this winter, and two of them have bloomed. The other one rotted off last week! These plants are so susceptible to rot, it can be very discouraging. This is why I'm making seed pods every year, because there's no telling when these plants will become brown piles of mush.

20220415_174922.jpg

20220415_174948.jpg

20220415_175002.jpg

20220415_175016.jpg

20220415_175118.jpg

Ho
'Mayu' HCC/AOS was awarded last year. This plant put out three growths this winter, and two of them have bloomed. The other one rotted off last week! These plants are so susceptible to rot, it can be very discouraging. This is why I'm making seed pods every year, because there's no telling when these plants will become brown piles of mush.

View attachment 33738

View attachment 33739

View attachment 33740

View attachment 33741

View attachment 33742
How far along was the growth when it rotted?
Patrick

What a shame with the rot. Hopefully the rest of the plant is safe.

Seems like the rot started from the base or rhizome. What do you think caused it? Water left overnight, cold or critter bites? Would a prophylactic like Physan work?

Ohhh....very nice flowers, i love them....this type rot is bad, caused by a bacteria, pseudomonas. Unfortunately it spreads towards the rhizome and can kill the plant very quickly.

My guess is water/fertilizer solution got into the basal leaf sheaths and provided an environment for bacteria to fester.

I submerged the pot in 2 tsp/gallon Physan and cut the bulb at the rhizome. The adjacent growths are green and firm but I will be watching carefully. After blooming I may remove that entire section of rhizome.

Last edited:
My guess is water/fertilizer solution got into the basal leaf sheaths and provided an environment for bacteria to fester.

I submerged the pot in 2 tsp/gallon Physan and cut the bulb at the rhizome. The adjacent growths are green and firm but I will be watching carefully. After blooming I may remove that entire section of rhizome.

looks that way. This usually happens to me if I’m not careful with watering.. I’m in a rush or missed a water session and tried to make up for it with a later than normal watering time. This time of year with the transition of the temps and light it’s such a roller coaster to keep the temps and humidity nominal… spring and fall are the most dangerous for me.

Too bad the plant rotted from the bottom up! Cattleya rex is a very temperamental to grow. Maybe watering was fine but the increase in humidity prevented the water from drying out by nightfall with the cooler temperatures. It happens to some of my orchids from time to time.

Pete—yes! I always have problems during the 'transition' seasons. Maybe I try to hurry them along and they certainly have let me know time, and time again!

Paphman—I agree, and also I moved the plant from its normal spot so the flowers would open unobstructed. And maybe the airflow changed around the plant so then it went all to hell.

This week we have two first-time bloomers. Eight years have passed since they were deflasked.

First up is Wayra, which has two flowers. What's interesting about this plant is that it has grown well with multiple leads over the years, and yet the leaves and bulbs are smaller than its siblings. Not sure if it is genetics, environmental, a bit of both, or just slow to mature, but a more compact-sized rex seems like a good thing. I will keep an eye on this one and maybe self it this year in case it does turn out to be a naturally smaller plant.

20220501_102107.jpg

20220501_102129.jpg

20220501_102140.jpg

Next is Phuyu, which put up a nice growth this year and three flowers. I am planning on putting this plant up for auction on eBay later today. Wish me luck, this is my first eBay auction. Any suggestions for a reasonable minimum bid?

20220501_101843.jpg

20220501_101858.jpg

20220501_101935.jpg

20220501_101917.jpg

Lovely things William.
FS Cattleya rex plants are as rare as hens teeth on eBay.
Someone that seems to sell this sort of thing is Steve Christofferson.
Check out the price of the rare FS cattleyas species that he’s sold.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see it with a minimum of at least 100 dollars, probably more.
David

Lovely things William.
FS Cattleya rex plants are as rare as hens teeth on eBay.
Someone that seems to sell this sort of thing is Steve Christofferson.
Check out the price of the rare FS cattleyas species that he’s sold.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see it with a minimum of at least 100 dollars, probably more.
David
Haha some of my plants are from him lol. They are not cheap but worth every penny.

Latest posts

Back