Cattleya rex 2021

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

My Green Pets

Fuzzy bud
Reaction score
Rex blooming season came a good 3 months early this year! Maybe it was the intense LED lights that brought them out so fast.
This clone has been dubbed 'Urqu' meaning 'mountain' in Quechua. Judging is May 8, but I don't think they will look too good at that point. We shall see.

My Green Pets

Fuzzy bud
Reaction score
I bought a flask on eBay in 2014. I have a hunch they may have originally come from Mick Fournier of HBI Orchid flasks, but the seller would not share that info with me. Shady, but whatever.

William,
that’s a lovely clone. Is it from peruflora?
regards
David

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
When you say clone 'Urqu', do you mean that they are of a certain ecotype (from a certain area) or a forma (of a certain color form)?

Or do you mean one of the parents is "Urqu'?

Or you are naming the last one 'Urqu'?

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! I am working on that. Trying to breed them and make as many as possible available to growers. Getting a shipment of various rex varieties in flask from Peruflora next week hopefully.
Can't wait to see them bloom in 3-5 years!!

My Green Pets

Fuzzy bud
Reaction score
I said 'this clone has been dubbed' which was a facetious way to say I named this clone. Since I have over 20 of these plants, I am giving each one a Quechua name as they bloom.

When you say clone 'Urqu', do you mean that they are of a certain ecotype (from a certain area) or a forma (of a certain color form)?

Or do you mean one of the parents is "Urqu'?

Or you are naming the last one 'Urqu'?

PeteM

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Great job William. Glad to see after moving from the greenhouse to your grow tent they have not skipped a beat. Hope this continues to do well moving forward. Very happy I invested in the spider farmer led too, hoping to bloom a few Cattleyas that have eluded me. Good luck with the flask. I’ll be watching your channel.

My Green Pets

Fuzzy bud
Reaction score
Two more have bloomed and one got an HCC last night at AOS judging. What a feeling to grow these for seven years from flask and finally get that award. And...at least two more clones are in bud!

2.jpg
C. maxima cærulea, C. rex 'Mayu', C. rex 'Unu' (12-inch / 30-cm ruler in photo for scale)

1.jpg
C. rex 'Unu'

3.jpg
C. rex 'Mayu' HCC/AOS (78 pts) with Bulb. echinolabium photobomb

Last edited: