Cattleya purpurata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateL

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this Catt from Matthias at Shogun Hawaii a couple of summers ago. I wish I had time to properly stake and groom my plants, lol. We are going to throw him in a display at the Aiea Orchid Show this weekend, after I pull a few more of his buddies out of the yard and clean everyone up a bit.
It is labeled L. purpurata var. cindarosa.

Attachments

• IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4548.jpeg
    IMG_4548.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Lovely lip color.

FYI… ‘Cindarosa’ is not the variety but a cultivar division name.

The color variety is roxo-bispo or roxo-violeta in reference to the color of the purple red robe of the bishops.

Lovely lip color.

FYI… ‘Cindarosa’ is not the variety but a cultivar division name.

The color variety is roxo-bispo or roxo-violeta in reference to the color of the purple red robe of the bishops.
Thanks Leslie. I should have looked it up before posting. Wonderful to know the color varieties. Do you have a good source for that (that I might try to find and study), or just your experience?

Thanks Leslie. I should have looked it up before posting. Wonderful to know the color varieties. Do you have a good source for that (that I might try to find and study), or just your experience?
Although I’ve seen many purpuratas, I wouldn’t have any idea who is right in their naming because each region is different.

Therefore, my best education and the best knowledge on them is from Lou Menezes book called ‘Cattleya (Laelia) purpurata and its Varieties’. It’s out of print but may be available through Ingram Orchid Books (check/Google online) or your local/OS library.

Also Sergio from Olompoa Orchids in California gave a fantastic talk on them in one of his lectures.

Hi Bob,
Yes. I took a whole car full. Catts, Dens (ranging from a little mimiense to a Violet Yamaji), Phrags, Bullbs, a couple of little Paphs, and a teeny tiny Macroclinium. No merit awards, but I think we got two or three ribbons. It was HOS (not AOS) judging and there were so many great plants, we were there until about 11:30 last night for judging. Our entire judging team was there, including our emeritus judges and Edwin Oka, who flies back in from Japan to participate in HOS-judged shows here on Oahu. Good fun!

As a Team Leader during the Honolulu Orchid Society merit judging at the recent Aiea Orchid Club show,can you tell me who was that judge participant in your group that was clearly not paying attention to the assignment on hand?
I got this Catt from Matthias at Shogun Hawaii a couple of summers ago. I wish I had time to properly stake and groom my plants, lol. We are going to throw him in a display at the Aiea Orchid Show this weekend, after I pull a few more of his buddies out of the yard and clean everyone up a bit.
It is labeled L. purpurata var. cindarosa.

Ah but I wish I lived in a climate where most of my orchids could live outside, mounted on trees or inside a screened pool area! If wishes were fishes! I could do cold loving Cyps like the state flower of MN would grow here easily in a shaded Easterly location. (I am in central MN.) Now if I could just get around the prices of them. Piping Rock always had young native MN cyps for sale, but there was a waiting list you had to get on, a year before if possible, with the desired quantity listed as well. Now with new ownership, I have no idea if that will continue.

Last edited:
Although I’ve seen many purpuratas, I wouldn’t have any idea who is right in their naming because each region is different.

Therefore, my best education and the best knowledge on them is from Lou Menezes book called ‘Cattleya (Laelia) purpurata and its Varieties’. It’s out of print but may be available through Ingram Orchid Books (check/Google online) or your local/OS library.

Also Sergio from Olompoa Orchids in California gave a fantastic talk on them in one of his lectures.
Spelling note:
Olompali Orchids

Ah but I wish I lived in a climate where most of my orchids could live outside, mounted on trees or inside a screened pool area! If wishes were fishes! I could do cold loving Cyps like the state flower of MN would grow here easily in a shaded Easterly location. (I am in central MN.) Now if I could just get around the prices of them. Piping Rock always had young native MN cyps for sale, but there was a waiting list you had to get on, a year before if possible, with the desired quantity listed as well. Now with new ownership, I have no idea if that will continue.
Robert-Jan Quené posted a thread awhile back (from MN) saying that he was going to be raising cyps. I was interested because my mom lives in northern WI (and my husband and I keep a cottage across the lake from her). I think he said he would be on facebook (I’m not), but if you can track that down, you might be in luck!
P.S. I visited northern WI mid-April, still had an 8-foot snowbank between my back door and the driveway, and then water in the basement when it all decided to melt at once, and then black ice everywhere when it decided to freeze hard the next day. I don’t have a pool, but I have lots of orchids in the yard, and sunshine almost every day here in Honolulu.

Latest posts

Back