Cattleya purpurata tipo rosada ‘brazil’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had suspected that. Seems a little unfair. It usually takes a bigger, more mature, and better grown plant to get the higher flower numbers. Yet, there are not increased points for more flowers to counter balance slightly smaller flowers! If someone were really serious about an award and saw 5+ buds developing would they cut 2+ off early to increase the size of the three remaining? Does this even work for the size?
If a plant has 5-7 flowers it is noted and sometimes rewarded with bonus points under floriferousness if:

1. Not too small
2. Not crowded
3. Not deformed
4. No color breaks (sometimes last flower colored lighter or off)
5. Has strong stem to hold flowers well

Here we have a hybrid of purpurata, the old time cut flower x canhamiana coerulea. Presumably it was made using purpurata werkhauseri and a mossiae coerulea.
Everyone should have a plant of this hybrid. It’s a great doer. It grows like a weed, mature bulbs have up to six flowers and it smells wonderful, way better than any purpuratas. If I could get my hands on some of the other colour forms, I would jump at them.
This plant still produced six bloom on two growths, despite their growth being restricted due to repotting last summer plus five months growing on a windowsill in a Welsh farmhouse with no sun
IMG_1314.jpegIMG_1313.jpeg

Jens, the hybrid name is written x canhamiana. Purpurata x mossiae. it came from ‘bluecattleya’ on eBay in Germany. This coerulea form is normally the one you find for sale but there should be many more given the range of colours in the parents.

Jens, the hybrid name is written x canhamiana. Purpurata x mossiae. it came from ‘bluecattleya’ on eBay in Germany. This coerulea form is normally the one you find for sale but there should be many more given the range of colours in the parents.
David, I had to look this one up in Orchid Roots and the naming is a very old strange one. RHS registered Laelia x canhamiana (the x denoting a natural hybrid) in 1885 with the notation “Rchb.f. Kew unplaced” for the cross Cattleya mossiae x Cattleya purpurata. The same year was registered Cattleya Canhamiana as “Veitch RHS registered”. This would have been the artificial hybrid. I have to guess that there are rare to no existing divisions from the original Laelia x canhamiana existing and that almost all (mossiae x purpurata) crosses were artificially made and would be called Cattleya Canhamiana.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. When this plant bloomed for the first time I wondered what I’d bought. It was very average. Same thing last year. Had there been a mistake in labelling? It took three years for me to see the potential.
Jerry Fischer says it takes 3 bloom cycles to know what the potential of the flowers are. I have trouble waiting that long…

Back