Cattleya purpurata tipo rosada ‘brazil’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A division from Hilmar Bauch of Asendorfer and flowering for the third time. This is by far its best blooming despite spending five months in a draughty Welsh farmhouse when we were between houses.
At least it had almost finished growing the new lead by the time we moved into the farmhouse so it spent the winter resting.
It’s always been my tallest and earliest blooming clone. To me it’s an improved ‘tipo’ form. Not sure about the rosada bit.
The background is the view from our new patio.
51A3BDFE-8F97-4D86-ADE1-AC4135216E97.jpegDFA1CD11-A92F-4574-9691-9E81B7F89C62.jpegC759DC6A-56C3-4F1B-BF34-F1600FE86BC1.jpeg

David, I have found more color form names for purpurata than any other Cattleya and it is confusing. I cannot find “rosada” on a 2016 compilation from a purpurata expert and judge. I am thinking that this is a striata? Leslie says the linear streaks need to be the same color as the lip, which seems to be the case. Maybe the striations need to be more prominent to qualify as striata?

A wonderful clone - I really like the colouring of the lip!
I am thinking that this is a striata? Leslie says the linear streaks need to be the same color as the lip, which seems to be the case. Maybe the striations need to be more prominent to qualify as striata?
It doesn't adhere, though, to the other criteria, mentioned by Leslie, namely that the colouring of the striations must be of (almost) same intensity.
The striations must be in the same shade (almost somewhat same intensity) as the lip color (aka darker magenta) to qualify as striata or venosa. In other words, it is neither of those. Nonetheless a beautiful flower.
And, if I remember correctly, the description of the tipo allows for some colouring of the petals.

Wonderful view from your patio, David. I presume, that your house is situated bordering on a park area? Which would be nice, because you will have people keeping it for you! Otherwise, I will stop talking about your "house" and henceforth refer to it as your estate! 😉

The Orchid Board post in 2016 with notes from a talk by Amy Chung Jacobsen, an AOS judge and expert purpurata grower said only the following about "Tipo" purpurata:

"Typical plants ("Tipo") have white petals and sepals, blushed pink. The pink can be lighter or darker. The lip is purple, and this purple lip is dominant in hybrids."

Terry, I’ve given up trying to follow the ins and outs of all the colour names of purpurata. It doesn’t interest me that much. If I see one I like, that’s fine, the name is immaterial. There has been so much hybridisation work between the best forms that the naming is getting to be in a real muddle. Jens, the new abode is in the grounds of a large hotel of about 70 acres which are kept to a high standard. It’s quite lovely!

David, I agree with you for the long term and as I reduce the size of my collection to selected, large plants. What matters is how they grow and how nice they look. However, my compulsion to be organized wants my labels to be as correct as possible!

I have the sense that the purpurata variation naming confusion is not so much in Brazil but in the rest of the world now that purpurata is increasingly available.

Beautiful! Love the contrast of that rich lip with the lighter petals!

Terry, I’ve given up trying to follow the ins and outs of all the colour names of purpurata. It doesn’t interest me that much. If I see one I like, that’s fine, the name is immaterial. There has been so much hybridisation work between the best forms that the naming is getting to be in a real muddle. Jens, the new abode is in the grounds of a large hotel of about 70 acres which are kept to a high standard. It’s quite lovely!
David, you’re right. Even within Brazil the terms are interchangeable if you’re in the south or north lol.

In my opinion, I’m in agreement with Terry and Giuidal that this is indeed a striata (the petal veins are in the same shade as the lip).

Thanks for the comments. When this plant bloomed for the first time I wondered what I’d bought. It was very average. Same thing last year. Had there been a mistake in labelling? It took three years for me to see the potential.

From year to year the flowering can vary in the intensity of the striations and the depth of color saturation on the lip. This is purpurata var. werkhauseri striata 'Cerito's Blue Flame' last years flowering which lacked intensity, but still quite enjoyable. The larger and more mature a plant becomes seems to create a group energy source for flowering quality.

Attachments

• cerito blue flame 2.JPG
    cerito blue flame 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I’ve given up trying to follow the ins and outs of all the colour names of purpurata. It doesn’t interest me that much. If I see one I like, that’s fine, the name is immaterial. There has been so much hybridisation work between the best forms that the naming is getting to be in a real muddle.
Naming within Cattleya except on species level seems to me in a shambles compared to Paphs - with colourforms (i.e. plants and flowers that only differ in respect to the colouring of the flowers and without no morphological differences what so ever) being described as varieties. This no present botanist in sound mind within the Paph-crowd would accept - they, logically, insist, that these diffences be described as what they are: colourforms (abbr. fma.).
I have even seen, what seems to be clonal names, elevated to variety status. This reflects, I suppose, that a lot of "variety" designations probably originate from growers or nursery owners with limited understanding of botanical nomenclatura. These designations, although void in a strict botanical sense, might, though, make sense for breeding purposes, but should then be considered horticultural names and designated as such (Hort.).
... the new abode is in the grounds of a large hotel of about 70 acres which are kept to a high standard. It’s quite lovely!
It seems to me, that you have found a set-up, that can only be characterized in one way:: perfect! 🤗
Reminds me of a now retired colleague, who has an apartment just opposite and with a splendid view over a lovely park in Copenhagen, Kongens Have (The King's Garden). The Park is located just beside, what in my eyes is a little architectonic pearl, Rosenborg Slot (The Rose Castle). Rosenborg was build as a little summerhouse (not summer residence, but literally summerhouse!) between 1606 and 1634 and in Dutch rennaisance style by Christian IV of Denmark. Then it was situated outside the city walls, now very much in the city center.
Rosenborg viewed from "my colleague's park" :csm_Foto_af_Rosenborg_Slot_5267c2e088.png

Last edited:
Thanks Jens!
here is the next one to bloom, a coerulea form, werkhauseri. Fewer flowers than last year but it did have a fairly monumental repot last summer as well as the dull winter in wales, so overall, not so bad.
IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

Not a purpurata but a warscewiczii sanderiana from Orchids limited. It’s always been a super vigorous plant producing two growths per year, although only the first one flowers. It seems to be enjoying its new home as this growth is already taller than the previous and there is still plenty more to go. I estimate it will be about 4 inches (10cm) taller when it finishes extending, although it could be more. Anyway it good to see a plant enjoying the new growth room.
IMG_1309.jpeg

David, 5 flowers on a spike with purpurata is a nice result. My striata did that this spring and it makes you wonder if we could squeeze out one or two more flowers on a really big plant.
Yes 5 is exceptional.

The only issue is that more flowers means each flower size gets smaller.

The ideal for show is 3 to maximize the size. But for personal home show, 7 small flowers is possible !!

Yes 5 is exceptional.

The only issue is that more flowers means each flower size gets smaller.

The ideal for show is 3 to maximize the size. But for personal home show, 7 small flowers is possible !!
I had suspected that. Seems a little unfair. It usually takes a bigger, more mature, and better grown plant to get the higher flower numbers. Yet, there are not increased points for more flowers to counter balance slightly smaller flowers! If someone were really serious about an award and saw 5+ buds developing would they cut 2+ off early to increase the size of the three remaining? Does this even work for the size?

Back