Cattleya percivalliana 'Summit' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those specimens are a feast! Wow John, you grow these catts incredibly well. It is inspiring to browse through a thread like this, thank you!

Beautiful! It is a moment like this looking a large well grown specimen of epiphyte when I wish I had a greenhouse.
Thanks for sharing!

Absolutely gorgeous!
Your photographs are quite dangerous: I might fall in love with Catts and put all my Paphs in the compost heap! :poke:

Wow John, that is a beauty, and it takes a lot for me to like a large Catt. The beauty you lost in 2008 would have killed me too.

I almost gave up completely. Here's that big specimen percivalliana after the freeze, shortly before I took it down and threw it into the dumpster that I had to rent to cart away all the dead plants.
C%20perci%20spec2.JPG

Now of course, I'm glad that I did not give up; but, I was sick for a long time over that sad event!

Thanks.

Well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...right? It's -15*C outside right now. Winter is scary when you have a greenhouse. I won't really relax again until about early May.

Never seen anyhing like that John. Come move to Norway, we are north of you probably (at58degreesN) and temperature is much milder, around 3C now. Summer is also cooler........
Great show!
B

Never seen anyhing like that John. Come move to Norway, we are north of you probably (at58degreesN) and temperature is much milder, around 3C now. Summer is also cooler........
Great show!
B

Summers here are hot and winters very cold to bitterly cold! I expected that you'd be a lot colder than me; but, perhaps you get a moderating effect from the ocean? That would be nice!

Beautiful flowers, aaargh to rodents. Favorite vendor in early '80's had many trays of deflasked orchids and one night a red squirrel are through side of greenhouse and wiped out over 1500$ of plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful flowers, aaargh to rodents. Favorite vendor in early '80's had many trays of deflasked orchids and one night a red squirrel are through side of greenhouse and wiped out over 1500$ of plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it!

The mice that made a nest in the Cattleya pot were little Deer Mice. The very small ones with big ears, big eyes and long tails. They're actually pretty cute. Usually, they don't cause damage. However, just one Field Mouse can put you into bankruptcy! Field Mice have little ears, little beady eyes and very short tails. They look like a miniature Ground Hog. They will mow down plants just for the fun of it. I once lost about $600 worth of Phrag. ecuadorense plants to a single Field Mouse in just one night. The little bugger cut all the Phrag's leaf fans off right at the pot level. It looked like a lawn mower had run over the pots. They will also climb up Vanda plants and cut the flowers off the stems....just for fun. I've seen that happen a few times. I come into the greenhouse and there's dozens of chewed off flowers laying all over the benches.......a couple dozen $60 plants rendered unsaleable. So, I set out 20 or 25 traps all around in the area and I catch just ONE Field Mouse and the damage immediately stops. It was just ONE Field Mouse that caused all that damage!:mad:

Latest posts

Back