Cattleya percivalliana ' Paolo'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslie, there must be judging standards for how much the column should be open for the different species? I have worried that the columns on my percivaliana 'Alberts' and (Summit x self) are too closed over. Do cultural conditions have anything to do with how much the column opens? What species should be more open and which more closed?

I also am curious about this. Some of my rexes have very open exposed columns, others have nicely closed tubes. I agree that the closed tube seems more attractive, but I'm curious what judging standards are in regards to this.

Leslie, there must be judging standards for how much the column should be open for the different species? I have worried that the columns on my percivaliana 'Alberts' and (Summit x self) are too closed over. Do cultural conditions have anything to do with how much the column opens? What species should be more open and which more closed?

My opinion Is that a close or open tube does not depend on particular environmental conditions, Indeed I have other percivalliana with a more closed tube just under the same GH. More a genetic factor for me.

Another one from Venezuela... Cattleya percivalliana color "Rio Caura"

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_145640584_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211211_145640584_HDR.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211130_140408103.jpg
    IMG_20211130_140408103.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 9
There is actually no judging standards of a preference for open or close column at this time for labiate species (in bifoliates it’s almost expected). It’s a matter of preference of the judging team.

With that said, I think it should be judged against what is normally found in each species. For example trianaes and percivalianas usually have closed columns, so any deviation from it may require a few point deductions. However it should not be considered a fatal flaw and eliminated from getting an award if the rest of the flower is in proportion and aesthetically pleasing as in these blooms.

Terry, in terms of what you mean by ‘too closed over’: if the overlapping over the column is a narrow tube, it’s fine … but if tube extends to a smaller narrow lip, it might affect the aesthetics and proportion of the flower and affect the scoring (compare to others in its ilk).

Back