Cattleya percivalliana albescens ‘Oro Blanco’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I upset Dr Leslie by saying that this species is not my favourite unifoliate due to its scent but I still have room for this one.
It is a smallish division that came as a freebie and is finally getting going and growing well. The flower has a touch of darker pigment on the lip ( you have to look hard to see it) so is classified as albescens rather than alba. This makes the yellow in the throat of the lip darker than in the albas. So far no scent is discernible (probably a good thing).
794E9CAC-0CE4-44FE-82B0-1D1F4B05F42E.jpeg
David

Darlene, once you start on the slippery slope of collecting catts, there is no hope!
Just ask Dr Leslie.
There are so many choice cultivars as there are so many colour forms of many of the species.

I know I upset Dr Leslie by saying that this species is not my favourite unifoliate due to its scent but I still have room for this one.
It is a smallish division that came as a freebie and is finally getting going and growing well. The flower has a touch of darker pigment on the lip ( you have to look hard to see it) so is classified as albescens rather than alba. This makes the yellow in the throat of the lip darker than in the albas. So far no scent is discernible (probably a good thing).
View attachment 23975
David

another fantastic white bloom! Yes, I would also definitely make room for this lip.
I was reading that warscewiczii and gaskelliana both need 13hr nights and night temps at 55F in order to initiate blooming. I wonder if percivaliana and even mossiae share the same requirement. These make up a many of the white lines and I was wondering if you find that providing these conditions helps you bloom the white Cattleyas? Interested to learn if you or others treat these Cattleyas any differently than others in the collection.

Pete,
I’ve flowered both warscewiczii and gaskelliana this year with no special effort, on my various windowsills.
The warscewiczii is a seedling of the sanderiana strain from OL and came over the Atlantic last year, so had to grow some decent roots before flowering. It sat in a south facing window as they like lots of light.
The gaskelliana is an alba clone and sits in an east facing windowsill as I’ve read that they will be happy with slightly less sun than some other catts.
The house temperatures are very stable and 55f is probably a minimum that it gets to in winter.
Neither gets supplementary light or dark and has to make do with whatever is going on in the house.
David

View attachment 23975
David
Takes a lot more than this to upset me lol. Cattleyas are only 1/3 of my collection so I’m pretty open to anything that catches my fancy ;).

This is a very old classic percivaliana that was selected to be alba but as it turns out, increased light and certain conditions can bloom light pink colors to lip and sometimes even the flowers, designating it as albescent, delicata or even rosada. It is also supposed to be grandiflora type, meaning that it is bigger than the tipo by 3-5 cm.

Just teasing Dr Leslie!
I am in awe of your cattleya knowledge. Many thanks for the information on this particular clone.
Nice to know that it is a grandiflora type although maybe not yet for me. This flower is 5 inches across if you flatten it out but just under 4 as it stands as the petals are quite closed.
I‘ve had it for four seasons and in the first two the new growth was tiny but insisted on producing a flower. It may have stressed the plant too much and prevented decent growth or it may just be down to my culture.
So the following year I cut off the sheath when the bulb matured to prevent this.
This year the new growth is quite a bit bigger so I’ve let it flower.
Needless to say it has also been repotted after this years issues with rot and there are nice new roots wandering across the orchiata.
B3275459-28E3-4CE8-B057-73F5AE507D4A.jpeg
There is also a tiny new growth from one of the older bulbs, so if we are still connected to Europe after 1st Jan, there maybe something for you Guldal in the future!

David

There is also a tiny new growth from one of the older bulbs, so if we are still connected to Europe after 1st Jan, there maybe something for you Guldal in the future!
YES, YES, YES! :p 😍

David, let's hope, Boris lets go a little bit concerning his seemingly insatiable need for control of his borders, and takes back control of himself. Actually, just 'takes control of himself' would be fine with me, as taking back something, you've never had, somehow seems a contradiction in terms! 😁

But he needs to hurry up - the clock is ticking before you all end up in splendid insulation! :oops:

Best regards, Jens

Latest posts

Back