Cattleya percivaliana peloric in Bud!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to move my percivaliana peloric to another location and it triggered a new growth.

This was out of season and so I thought the growth would be sheathless. But it surprised me with a sheath and buds right after! Not sure if this is normal but it’s going to bloom 6 months after it’s known blooming season (December).

This will be the first time it blooms after 3 years since I brought it from Japan. So exciting as I’ve never seen the flowers (only from pics of Wakayama). The buds are red!!!

E079ACD2-EEB0-437B-A1F7-B4F342F3DF37.jpegC824ECCB-C4AE-47F5-8B80-9F5A6E2B7D6D.jpegCE9B105B-BFAB-4493-99F4-60AEFD1BF534.jpeg88ACEB8E-7569-4898-B319-EA28F31F4D89.jpeg8582BE0A-F02E-483D-8D03-52426A088DDE.jpeg

So what is the usual growth pattern of percivilliana? Haven't grown mine for long enough to tell bloomed last Dec. and has a new growth W/ a sheeth what's next?
Patrick

I’m looking forward to seeing these and I hope they’re open for judging! Good luck Leslie!
Thanks Wendy! Judging is Saturday so it has 5 days to get its act together lol.

Then it has to go through the blooming time scrutiny of the judges, who may refused to believe that it is a true percivaliana species.

So what is the usual growth pattern of percivilliana? Haven't grown mine for long enough to tell bloomed last Dec. and has a new growth W/ a sheeth what's next?
Patrick
Percivaliana usually starts new growths spring to summer, sheath by beginning of fall, and bud by November to bloom in December. This is for Northern Hemisphere.

It’s the opposite for Southern Hemisphere which ours seem to follow at the moment.

Yes it does David!

Btw today the buds are bigger and redder today. Do you think it will make to judging at this rate?

BTW DavidB is the fantastic grower of some of my plants shown here (eg tenebrosas, trianae, gaskelliana, mossiae and labiatas). And an accredited AOS judge too. I have high respects for him.

F43F6530-7DC8-4B78-BCA0-172F855B8799.jpeg77A76AC4-F783-418B-967F-6011457F3344.jpeg

Yes it does David!

Btw today the buds are bigger and redder today. Do you think it will make to judging at this rate?

BTW DavidB is the fantastic grower of some of my plants shown here (eg tenebrosas, trianae, gaskelliana, mossiae and labiatas). And an accredited AOS judge too. I have high respects for him.

View attachment 34734View attachment 34735
I would put my money on just opening.

Back