Cattleya percivaliana fm. coerulea ‘SRV’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy… I’m old school so fc only. I’ll measure tomorrow.
Deb, if Leslie tells us the fc reading, we won't know the exact conversion factor because it varies modestly with specific light source, but we can multiply his reading by about 0.15 to get a rough approximation of PPFD. This will be assuming he is using a broad spectrum white fluorescent. So, 2000 fc will be roughly 300 PPFD on our meters if Leslie's light spectrum is roughly similar to our LED spectrum.

Deb, if Leslie tells us the fc reading, we won't know the exact conversion factor because it varies modestly with specific light source, but we can multiply his reading by about 0.15 to get a rough approximation of PPFD. This will be assuming he is using a broad spectrum white fluorescent. So, 2000 fc will be roughly 300 PPFD on our meters if Leslie's light spectrum is roughly similar to our LED spectrum.
At leaf level it measures 1250 fc under 2 x T5 sun blaster fluorescents. But the area of spread of light catch on 8 leaves for 14 hours.

At leaf level it measures 1250 fc under 2 x T5 sun blaster fluorescents. But the area of spread of light catch on 8 leaves for 14 hours.
That calculates to a PPFD of about 188 micro moles/m2/sec. At 14 hours per day the daily light integral is 9.45. This is good, but not particularly high Cattleya light.

Deb, a reading of 250 PPFD with our Apogee quantum flux meters and 12 hours of daylight is even higher at 10.8 DLI. So, Leslie’s good results are not due to aggressively high light. He is doing others things well to get the nice blooming!

I have a “special care nursery” area for less mature (and struggling) small Cattleyas that is under 2’ x 2’ LED panels that are delivering only 190 PPFD to the top of the leaves. This was intended for growth without worrying about blooming. Nevertheless, some Cattleyas are blooming, including my percivaliana (‘Summit’ x self) that bloomed a month ago. I think good Cattleya growth and blooming may not require as high a light as often given.

That calculates to a PPFD of about 188 micro moles/m2/sec. At 14 hours per day the daily light integral is 9.45. This is good, but not particularly high Cattleya light.

Deb, a reading of 250 PPFD with our Apogee quantum flux meters and 12 hours of daylight is even higher at 10.8 DLI. So, Leslie’s good results are not due to aggressively high light. He is doing others things well to get the nice blooming!

I have a “special care nursery” area for less mature (and struggling) small Cattleyas that is under 2’ x 2’ LED panels that are delivering only 190 PPFD to the top of the leaves. This was intended for growth without worrying about blooming. Nevertheless, some Cattleyas are blooming, including my percivaliana (‘Summit’ x self) that bloomed a month ago. I think good Cattleya growth and blooming may not require as high a light as often given.
I was surprised at the low fc when I measured too.

But just from experience and observations with other growers too, that if a plant is not sheathing or blooming, while being fed and watered the same, a little more light than what they currently have, may trigger floral production.

Latest posts

Back