Cattleya nobilior v. caerulea countdown

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisFL

General Disarray
Reaction score
To me C. nobilior is the perfect orchid, small in stature, huge flowers, incredible fragrance, highly specialized succulent growth and flowering habit. I have a small collection of seedlings from crosses that have caught my interest, including two var. coerulea. My understanding is that only one coerulea nobilior plant, ‘Suzuki’, has been found in nature. It was selfed and the offspring resulted in some coerulea cultivars now famous in Brazil and Japan (‘Papagaio Verde’, ‘Francisco’, ‘Luar do Sertao’). This plant is a first bloom seedling from a sibling cross of ‘Francisco’ and another plant from the original ‘Suzuki’ selfing. I selected this plant from F. E. Miranda’s greenhouse after spending too much time looking through the several first-bloom seedlings that were in bud. The buds survived the plane ride from Florida to Texas. Unfortunately, the buds on all the plants were too young to tell whether the flowers were going to be nice. Line breeding still has a little ways to go to get plants with exceptional form, although many of the plants coming from this cross are a huge step above the plants from the original selfing. Unfortunately, as the buds have been maturing, they have stayed relatively thin, so I'm not expecting much. :( You all can share my anticipation, and, likely, disappointment.

from 2/13/09:

Attachments

• 12007_021309.jpg
    12007_021309.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 33
Buds are dropping into vertical position and finishing their twist. Probably less than 5 days until they open.

Attachments

• 12007_021509.jpg
    12007_021509.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 17
Maybe 2 more days? The agony!

12007_021609_front_482.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,

If it wasn't for the fact that the sun is coming from a different angle, I'd say that these photos were taken at the same time. Sorry that progress is so slow. Patience is a virtue.

Best Regards,
Nik

Nik, the sun isn't coming from a different angle. It's an artificial light that doesn't move. Also, the bud on the right especially is a completely different color and more swollen.

My mistake. The shadows on the clay pots are different so I assumed that meant the sun was at a different angle. Anyway, I can't wait to see these buds open! :)

Paph, I grow all my Catt species in pure sphag in unglazed pots. This one hasn't been moved over yet, but it will when the new roots appear.

Great!!!! Things are progressing!!! Not long I guess till open flowers...:D:D What light do you give your catts (what is the wattage etc) TY anyway...:)

Latest posts

Back