Cattleya mossiae semialba pincelada ‘La Paz’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A division that I got from Gerardo’s collection in Venezuela couple years ago. First blooming after the shock of travel, so flowers are not at its best. Maybe in a couple more years it will show full potential.

Has very nice deep magenta colored lip and mini flares on all segments, among the porcelain white tepals.

I saved the pollen to breed with my best mossiae semialba flamea, which is in bud now on 4 bulbs.

02BED071-73EC-4BF4-8F3E-AD5715841724.jpeg8B75941B-BDB8-4CE4-BAE1-8BBEE298A5D4.jpeg283C74AD-1A43-48D4-B245-F4AEA531C4E9.jpeg2A08988C-1B82-47B2-B1B0-1EC80D8465FB.jpegDDBA1191-7DF7-4F33-9254-1BD115C239E0.jpegF8A312F3-D30F-4712-97C2-16522923640E.jpeg

Wow that is lovely! Such a full flower and great lip.
I remember seeing a YouTube video some time ago from the cattleya symposium talk with Armando Mantinelli talking about his breeding of this type of mossiae.

Wow that is lovely! Such a full flower and great lip.
I remember seeing a YouTube video some time ago from the cattleya symposium talk with Armando Mantinelli talking about his breeding of this type of mossiae.
Thanks David.

Yes that Mantellini video showed some outstanding mossiae flameas at the end. I wanted them all lol.

Beautiful, this might be my favorite mossiae color form. There were a bunch for sale from a cross of Llamarada x Valerio earlier this spring. How variable do you find the mini flares to be?

I rather like the floppy dorsal on this species, it’s one of those quirks I find charming, and I hope breeders don’t completely breed it out!

Beautiful, this might be my favorite mossiae color form. There were a bunch for sale from a cross of Llamarada x Valerio earlier this spring. How variable do you find the mini flares to be?

I rather like the floppy dorsal on this species, it’s one of those quirks I find charming, and I hope breeders don’t completely breed it out!
The cross by Steven in CA is a really great sib cross of good parents. He has bloomed out a few nice pincelada ones. It's worth to get and try them. He has more to bloom out so you can definitely play the roulette with them as most if not all will have flares.

I think a little floppiness is cute and it is the nature of the species. Unfortunately it is one of the traits that breeders are trying to breed out.

I just received the provenance and lineage for this plant from Gerardo. The correct cultivar name is ‘Paz Lucia’ (my bad lol).

‘Paz Lucía’ came as a seedling from Héctor Alvarez. It is (Aurora x Featherston) x Aquini #1.

Aquini #1 is another (Aurora x Featherston) from Michael Sinn (Canaima Orchids).

So in the other post I was asked to show my best mossiae semialba flamea.

Here it is in 2019 blooming:
EB823E25-AC7B-49CD-B715-11EA88D8D479.jpeg

Here’s the plant now with 4 bulbs in spikes (one sheathless):
A7F1BED3-60F6-48E6-9961-9DD5D12CD1C5.jpeg

Be interesting to see if blooms from no sheaths will be very different from sheathed ones. Please hold....

Back