Cattleya mossiae semi alba splash 'caribe' x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up from orchid trail in October 2019. Too bad they closed, always had a great list of catts available. This is a first bloom seedling and first time for me blooming mossiae. Note to self never pot in a basket on a bench. I’m very disappointed with the dorsal sepal. I should just name it ‘Free Willy’, any chance that this improves?

CC00AAED-F698-4527-BCF3-CBCCF53D4C3F.jpegF5DBB311-E22C-47A0-95CE-4B31CFAF8A35.jpeg4E0535BF-BB9B-4EA6-994A-7256D14DBBB6.jpegAF77F9DD-6B47-480B-B8C1-CE55E753ACEB.jpeg

Thanks. I just sold it on my local Maryland Facebook plant group. Cutthroat. I don’t have space for droopy dorsals. Think I’ll stay clear of mossiae seedlings.

Lovely clone but the dorsal sepal thing is quite normal for many clones of mossiae. Erect dorsals are the exception rather than the rule!
David
Agreed. The mossiae flowers love to recurve backwards in most plants. The rare ones that have erect dorsal are stunning, esp if the petals are wider and holds upright.

Seems like none of the 'splash' portion came through on this one.

Thanks for the encouragement and amazing pictures! Don't worry, I'm not throwing in the towel, the species actually seems to bloom well under my culture so that is a positive. My plan is to regroup.. and try to secure one with better form. From what others are reporting.. seems to be a rare find among seedlings. I'll probably try to invest in a mature plant. TBD, plenty of time and shopping is the fun part.

Chadwick sells divisions of his mossiaes each year. I am sure if you ask him he would be able to find a suitable one!
Tom that is one huge and amazing plant! I am very envious. As a windowsill grower I’ll never be able to grow something like that,
David

Chadwick sells divisions of his mossiaes each year. I am sure if you ask him he would be able to find a suitable one!
Tom that is one huge and amazing plant! I am very envious. As a windowsill grower I’ll never be able to grow something like that,
David
Thanks for this recommendation, Art is helping me track down a full formed flower from a batch of seedlings in bud. Seems like I timed this correctly. 🤞

Pete, another reason to search. I got this semi alba ‘H and R’ from Alan at Gold Country in 2012.
View attachment 26990View attachment 26991I Pete,
got this C. mossiae Semi alba ‘H and R’ from Alan at Gold County in 2012.
Tom
Tom, are the sheath green on both your mossiaes? Have they bloomed from dry sheaths too?

Pete, another reason to search. I got this semi alba ‘H and R’ from Alan at Gold Country in 2012.
View attachment 26990View attachment 26991I Pete,
got this C. mossiae Semi alba ‘H and R’ from Alan at Gold County in 2012.
Tom
Wow. Exactly what I’m looking for, stunning flower, thanks for sharing. I agree, worth the effort of digging. I have two leads now, ended up getting in touch with Maria Mantellini this week and she has my name it the pot for a choice division of a semi alba. I’ll keep an eye out for this one as well.. I’ll try gold country and I’ve already checked out that dangerous H&R spring listing.. those 4N dowianas are probably sold out. At least that’s what I’m telling myself so I don’t open the flood gate.

Pete, just open them gates))

re Gold County best to send Alan an email, his website is sparse.

also I just looked at Fred Clarks Division list and he has a 5 bulb division, you could call him and ask about the dorsal.

Latest posts

Back