Cattleya mossiae alba ‘bela vista’?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I removed the flower after opening as the plants isn’t mature.
I am concerned that the label in the pot may not be correct.
The very faint pink colour on the lower half of the lip is more characteristic of mendelli than mossiae. Time will tell as the plant matures.
There is a famous almost alba mendelli clone ‘Stuart Low’ which is very similar to this.

10135091-7063-4687-94B8-FDF26B6B4951.jpeg
David

Beautiful, It looks a lot like medelii in the fullness and roundness of the petals and how they curl back at the tip.
Patrick

Just checked with the vendor who confirms that it is mossiae ‘bela vista’.
maybe not so much of the ‘alba’ there with the faint colour on the lip.
Anyway still happy with it and hopefully it will improve in form on a mature plant.
A large true mossiae flower with that faint lip colour would be great,
David

Just checked with the vendor who confirms that it is mossiae ‘bela vista’.
maybe not so much of the ‘alba’ there with the faint colour on the lip.
Anyway still happy with it and hopefully it will improve in form on a mature plant.
A large true mossiae flower with that faint lip colour would be great,
David
David, I think it is not mossiae.The shape of the yellow path of the throat is very different, intensity is weaker, flower shape is different, too.I have seen few pale trianaes, it could be, but flowering time is not right, too, but it is mendeliis' season, shape, colouration is right.I think it is mendelii.

Last edited:
I agree but Max Strauss tells me it is what it says on the pot!
Funny.I have two flowered plant from Mr.Stauss, what obviously was different, and all of was fairly expensive ( i bought a violacea coerulea , it turned to normal form and a selected trianaei, it turned to hybid, Carmen).Stauss's tags mean nothing.

You may have been unlucky. I have fifteen plants from Max, a mixture of seedlings and divisions. Eleven have flowered and been correct and four have still to flower so not sure.
David

Not awarded, so we can’t tell who named the cultivar ‘Bella Vista’. It could have been Strauss. The only picture I can find online is from Strauss and looks to have the faint pink in the distal labellum. This should not be called alba. Any degree of anthocyanin in any part of the plant makes it not alba. So, just drop the alba adjective.

I have a post about ready about terminology of color variations, particularly white, and albescens or albescint are not going to be an out. There is any term for something that is almost, but not quite, alba. I will try and post that this weekend. Leslie nudged me to do it and it has taken a while to search through the terms.

I have a post about ready about terminology of color variations, particularly white, and albescens or albescint are not going to be an out. There is any term for something that is almost, but not quite, alba. I will try and post that this weekend. Leslie nudged me to do it and it has taken a while to search through the terms.
Looking forward to it.😁
Patrick

Latest posts

Back