Cattleya mossiae ‘rochelle’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This would probably be classified as an albescent form. Leslie could confirm this. Just a touch of colour in the veins on the front of the lip.
This is a second blooming like the purpurata and again a big improvement in form over last year as the plant is much better established.
Much more of a typical mossiae shape with the falling forward petals, compared to the two line bred semi albas, where this trait has probably been bred out.
F4EC1686-A1D5-4386-9C37-2EBA2E6BC677.jpeg3B099F10-A879-4D8E-B9CD-7832C08110A8.jpeg163223E4-52AE-4ACD-94F9-EF387F5E9D15.jpeg
David

Well done.

To determine color form, are the petals pure white? Maybe take a pic with white paper against the petals? Also against the lip so I can see the tonality of that pink.

Leslie,
take a look at these. To me there is no coerulea shading in the colour of the petals. They are a clear white. The pink on the lip is also consistent with a non coerulea form.
A3824042-E494-4A91-A881-0B32CE132E83.jpeg98276BCF-7D2D-4DF8-96DE-8CF765E92D9E.jpeg1F8EE265-4434-4BB6-8E83-4B7F819A7E1A.jpeg
It’s possible that there will be more colour development in the next few days. Its only a few days old.

Last edited:
David, this is another beauty in your collection. 👍
But honestly, if you asked me to chose one of the two in the last photo.....I would chose the semialba one. 👌

Last edited:
Ok so a trawl on the internet shows that coerulescens is where the coerulea colour in on the lip only. The petals and sepals are white. So far, to me the pink on the lip is not coerulea.
Guru, I would probably agree with you if I have to chose. Happily I do not!

Thanks for the pics...

You're right, the petals are pure white (more evident next to the s/a). Let's compare again after a week.

The streak is light pink with a gray cast, so a coerulescens might be an option for now.

Very similar to one of mine what's the difference between a vary faint coerulea and an albescens?
PatrickIMG_20220417_092430.jpg

W
Good question Patrick! Not a lot as far as I can see,
David
Well I guess its an albesecens when there is no ''blue'' in the petals and sepals and as long as there is some ''blue'' in the other parts of the flower it is a coerulea but I brought this mossiae to our OS meeting yesterday and someone said that it might be a concolor.🤔
Patrick

W

Well I guess its an albesecens when there is no ''blue'' in the petals and sepals and as long as there is some ''blue'' in the other parts of the flower it is a coerulea but I brought this mossiae to our OS meeting yesterday and someone said that it might be a concolor.🤔
Patrick
Concolors in mossiae is pink petals/sepals with a pure (no red) yellow lip.

I would say yours is more like an albescent.

Wonderful flowers, even if my comment is more than a bit belated!

Botanically speaking, isn't the term albescens something of an oximoron? Isn't it with albinism as it is with pregnancy: either you are pregnant or you are not.
As a horticultural term albescens makes sense, though, as your flowers so aptly illustrate. I.e. Cattleya mossiae fma albescens (Hort.). If this characteristica is uniform for all 'Rochelle's, then the clonal name would suffice, I gather, and thus no reason for specifically mentioning the colourforn.

Last edited:
Wonderful flowers, even if my comment is more than a bit belated!

Botanically speaking, isn't the term albescens something of an oximoron? Isn't it with albinism as it is with pregnancy: either you are pregnant or you are not.
As a horticultural term albescens makes sense, though, as your flowers so apt illustrate. I.e. Cattleya mossiae fma albescens (Hort.). If this characteristica is uniform for all 'Rochelle's, then the clonal name would suffice, I gather, and thus no reason for specifically mentioning the colourforn.
Albescent is used in many cases because it may bloom with an imperceptible pink shade in lip that appears alba. Or it may have a pink tint on the sepals and petals with a white lip (as in warneri albescent). Many albescent cultivars are labeled so as not to mislead the buyers.

By the way I forgot to answer re faint coerulea. Many coeruleas have white sepals and petals with a violet blue lip (varies in intensity and area of coverage). Other preferred coeruleas have violet tinge of various intensity in the sepals/petals and a dark blue lip.

Coerulensis (-scens) are lightly tinged with violet blue in various parts of the flowers that are almost imperceptible in some lighting (such as a light blue line in center of the throat). Usually this can be differentiated on a white background.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back