Cattleya Michelle Obama - another failed coerulea cross

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is Cattleya Michelle Obama (registered 2008 by A. Chadwick), remade by Orchids Limited as (Mini Purple coerulea ‘Tokiko’ HCC x trianae coerulea ‘Amazon O.L.’). The hope was that the cross would produce coerulea offspring, but that was not the case as shown by my first to flower from the cross.

IMG_2070.jpeg

I have learned that the genetics of coerulea Cattleyas are complicated and now expect that a cross of two coerulea plants, even two coeruleas from the same species, has a good chance of producing non-coerulea offspring.

Mini Purple is a primary hybrid of (pumila x walkeriana), so Michelle Obama is roughly 50% trianae, 25% walkeriana, and 25% pumila. I think my plant got less of the trianae than I hoped, although the overall color is probably tipo trianae.

I need to grow this to a larger, multi-growth plant to see what happens to flower number and size, but I am leaning towards culling this plant as a failed experiment. Everything about it is sort of mediocre.

It is a small flower with light substance. The shape and color are nice. If I had a lot of space in my plant room I would definitely keep it. When you have filled your space with plants, you have to become more careful about what you keep.

It is a small flower with light substance. The shape and color are nice. If I had a lot of space in my plant room I would definitely keep it. When you have filled your space with plants, you have to become more careful about what you keep.
Not enough space is the ire of orchid growers lol.

As for this flower, it doesn’t come close to the name that it’s attached to. Michelle Obama is way more big than it can represent unfortunately. Poor thing.

Not enough space is the ire of orchid growers lol.
Indeed, it is, Leslie! And Iwonder, if I'll live to see the day, when I hear an orchid grower complain of too much space?! 😁

(I've heard people complain about finding
themselves with more plants on hand, than they can manage to tend to, though - for different and understandable reasons: e.g. children or more children than planned for; too much work in the professional life; or age-related ill health or infirmity. But that's quite another ball game.... complaints about too much space in the GH or on the window sill, nay!)

The lateral lobes don't close over the column on yours but its still a very attractive bloom.
Patrick

Is it fragrant? In the past that has been a redeeming factor with me, for a plant that produces not so ‘Wow’ with the blooms!

OMG Thank You. I know it is difficult to flower something that is not an improvement over the parents, but that is often the case. We all hope for the best. Being critical in a constructive manner helps everyone understand a plants good characteristics and failings. Being able to articulate these observations is a very important learning tool. We all will flower plants that do not come up to expectations, and once in a while we are rewarded with the chance purchases we make, that send us grabbing for a measuring tape and a camera.

Latest posts

Back