Cattleya Maxima var. orlata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LO69

Reaction score
This rewarding brazilian variety of Cat. Maxima grows with high pseudobulbs and erected leaves.
It's a very strong plant and like all maxima Is resistant to most deseases.
I decided to grow It on a piece of cork 'natural style' It Is a bit starved as last months I didn't fertilize that much.
It flowers in my GH twice a year, first time between spring and summer and then again late fall.

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_103500828.jpg
    IMG_20211125_103500828.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 51
Forgot: the name 'orlata' means 'edge ' the one you can see in the lip.

C. maxima flowers are indeed very nice. Excellent photo capture. The branching tributary structure in the lip of maxima is very nice - including the colour of the pattern, matched to the rest of the colours and shape of the flower.

I'm getting old and my memory begins to fail, this plant comes from Equador!

Nice flowering....

However, there isn't an official description of any orlata form in maxima, from Peru, Ecuador or Brazil (I made several inquiries to collectors to those countries to make sure). This designation must have been given out by a nursery?

Furthermore, the orlata designation is used in cattleyas to describe a lip color (always red or lavender) that continues from the midlobe (center of lip) to the outer rim of the side lobes (around the column).

Nice flowering....

However, there isn't an official description of any orlata form in maxima, from Peru, Ecuador or Brazil (I made several inquiries to collectors to those countries to make sure). This designation must have been given out by a nursery?

Furthermore, the orlata designation is used in cattleyas to describe a lip color (always red or lavender) that continues from the midlobe (center of lip) to the outer rim of the side lobes (around the column).
Hi Leslie, I'm far from being an expert of classification, and I appreciate your deep knowledge and correction.
A good friend of mine who always supported missions around the world, received it probably in the eightees, during one of his trip in Equador from a mission priest.
I believe this father called It 'orlata', like another one I got from him labeled Cattleya guttata ' Padre Vitor'(father Vitor a mission priest in Brasil). I'm going to post It as well soon.

Very interesting provenance… might be the variety named by this mission priest himself as a cultivar name rather than a designated color form. I wonder if he got it label as such by the natives who found it?

Very interesting provenance… might be the variety named by this mission priest himself as a cultivar name rather than a designated color form. I wonder if he got it label as such by the natives who found it?
Yes I suppose your guess Is correct, as the mission priest relationship with natives Is strong.

I'm far from being an expert of classification...
Maybe not, but you darn well know how to grow your plants! 🤗

(But now we are at it, just a little aside concerning your title for this thread: the name of the genus starts with a capital letter as you correctly do, i.e. Cattleya; the species epithet, though, is written with a small letter, i.e. maxima. So your wonderful flower is Cattleya maxima.
A capital letter would indicate, that it's a cultural hybrid as is f.ex. the case in Paphiopedilum Wössner Black Wings (roth x anitum).
Naturally occuring hybrids are designated thus: Cattleya x whitei (natural hybrid between C. schilleriana and C. warneri).)

Maybe not, but you darn well know how to grow your plants! 🤗

(But now we are at it, just a little aside concerning your title for this thread: the name of the genus starts with a capital letter as you correctly do, i.e. Cattleya; the species epithet, though, is written with a small letter, i.e. maxima. So your wonderful flower is Cattleya maxima.
A capital letter would indicate, that it's a cultural hybrid as is f.ex. the case in Paphiopedilum Wössner Black Wings (roth x anitum).
Naturally occuring hybrids are designated thus: Cattleya x whitei (natural hybrid between C. schilleriana and C. warneri).)
Oh my God!!! I was a nut back in school and still I am! But thanks to guys like you I can get more in the know. I believe good critics always help one growing up.
Anyway I must read and re-read your post to fix It in my mind. Ahaha

Anyway I must read and re-read your post to fix It in my mind. Ahaha
No stress! Just notice what (most) other people post in these pages - and before opening a new post consider for yourself, whether the plant you are going to see, is a species or might be a hybrid? And now that you know there is some logic to the madness, I'm sure you will get the hang of it, before you can say Jack Robinson! ;)

Latest posts

Back