Cattleya lueddemaniana pincelada with 5 point Flares!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is perhaps my most favorite lueddemaniana for the past 5 years. It is light pink with magenta flaring on all five segments, each a pincelada streak. Some call it a 5 point star lol.

The lip is nicely marked with two yellow eyes. Flower shape is very round. Size is respectable at 14 cm NS. Still opening so might get slightly wider.

I think there is about 2 more sheaths, although this one flowered sheathless.

20210211_180116.jpg20210211_180108.jpg

Sorry didn’t notice the paphs! That cattleya is stunning!
David
David, as a purist of Cattleyas aficionado, all other flowers (save your fabulous Phragmipediums) are non-existent! That's only natural that Paphs will escape your notice.

But at least you appreciate the beauty in the center!

This is a treat. Thanks, it’s gorgeous.

Will be interesting to see the ones that open in sheath. I notice sometimes a much improved flower quality and overall longevity of the blooms. What is your average flower count for lueddemaniana, I have a few seedlings up and coming and one pushing out it’s first bud. Maybe the flower count increases with age.

oh.. and where did you acquire this magnificent plant!? ... I’m guessing Japan! 😃

Last edited:
that's lovely
This is a treat. Thanks, it’s gorgeous.

Will be interesting to see the ones that open in sheath. I notice sometimes a much improved flower quality and overall longevity of the blooms. What is your average flower count for lueddemaniana, I have a few seedlings up and coming and one pushing out it’s first bud. Maybe the flower count increases with age.

oh.. and where did you acquire this magnificent plant!? ... I’m guessing Japan! 😃
Thanks Pete and all for your kind comments.

The average flower count on my lueddies under lights is one flower, rarely two. I think they need real sun to get that number. Even expert growers under optimal sun usually get only two flowers.

I could move them to my sunny West window and try one year. They are the most light demanding unifoliate species, requiring 3000-3500 fc or more. They live on cactus after all!

However I had a luddie semialba flamea 'Cerro Verde' AM/AOS that threw a spike with 3 flowers under sunlight one year, in addition to 2 + 2 flowers in the other bulbs at the same time. But that plant has doubtful ancestry and could be tainted with the floriferous mossiae genes in the background.

I got this division from Steven Kristoffersen in Novato, California. He offers this one on eBay every 2-3 years. So SB, you got some phone calls to make lol.

Thanks Pete and all for your kind comments.

The average flower count on my lueddies under lights is one flower, rarely two. I think they need real sun to get that number. Even expert growers under optimal sun usually get only two flowers.

I could move them to my sunny West window and try one year. They are the most light demanding unifoliate species, requiring 3000-3500 fc or more. They live on cactus after all!

However I had a luddie semialba flamea 'Cerro Verde' AM/AOS that threw a spike with 3 flowers under sunlight one year, in addition to 2 + 2 flowers in the other bulbs at the same time. But that plant has doubtful ancestry and could be tainted with the floriferous mossiae genes in the background.

I got this division from Steven Kristoffersen in Novato, California. He offers this one on eBay every 2-3 years. So SB, you got some phone calls to make lol.
Dr. Leslie, What is Steven’s seller ID on eBay? Thanks-

Leslie, I keep looking at his stuff for sale. some of it is amazing!
it’s such a pity that he is so far away!
David

Steven has fantastic divisions as breeding lines.

It's a lot of paperwork to get to me across the border as well. I'm lucky to have quite a few divisions from him over the last few years.

Latest posts

Back