Cattleya (Laelia) colnagoi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This is a fairly recently described species (originally as Hoffmannseggella colnagoi, 2008). I can't find much info about it, and I'm not familiar with this group. So I'm not sure if the ID is correct. I'd like to hear what the differences between the related species are and if this is really the named species (and cultural and habitat tips). Are there any good books (taxonomy, ecology, biology) about rupicolous Laelia?

Here is some beautiful habitat photos of this species (and interesting interview): Orchid News 28

I got it originally from Florália (Brazil) in May 2013, when they visited Redland. I'm very happy with their plants, and I highly recommend them (you have a higher chance of loss due to the international importation, though). Even though I'm not familiar with rupicolous Laelia, I managed to get most of them acclimated (well, some of them are still at the border line). I haven't figured out the cultivation of this species yet, and the blooming is probably from the left-over of Floralia's good culture. I'm guessing that it produced only a single flower because it is not fully recovered from importation.

Cattleya (Laelia) colnagoi on Flickr

Cattleya (Laelia) colnagoi front on Flickr

Cattleya (Laelia) colnagoi lip on Flickr

Cattleya (Laelia) colnagoi whole plant on Flickr

I wanted to get the background of the first 2 photos a bit brighter, but I didn't feel like bringing out another speed light...

Thank you all!

gnathaniel, I'm not sure what it is. But someone was throwing away an aquarium tank, and this ugly gravel was in it. The blue gravel is only on the surface above sphag:crushed lava rock = 1:1.

Tom, I agree that the color seems to be in-between C. milleri and C. cinnabarina (which seems to be very similar to C. alvaroana). Francisco Miranda's web site used to have lots of interesting info about Brazillian Catts, but unfortunately, he took it down last fall... Indeed, it is weird to say rupicolous Cattleyas!

Latest posts

Back