Cattleya labiata fm (or var) purpureo-striata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very very nice, does it have a single sheat? By the way when I say thath normally labiata flower early autumn I was referring to natural light not under lights, the gradual change of photo period on northern emisohere is not exactly same as t5, under lights things tend to changes, you can flower it any time for thath matter...
Great flowers

Thanks PhalAddict.

This labiata has a single sheath this time (sometimes double) but as such it cannot be confuse with a jenmanii. I have had jenmaniis with two sheaths and one sheath in the same plant at the same time.

As for growing under lights, the bloom patterns of labiata can be manipulated under strict night length control, but not jenmanii (which can bloom twice a year without rest). Since I switch my hours to 12 hours daylight in Sept/Oct, (back to 14-16 hour summers) plants usually follow their natural blooming cycle, particularly my Paph species collection.

Keep us posted about how the judging goes?!

And btw. I think, I saw you mentioning a collection of 300 Catts - Something I imagine? Or if not, where do you have space to grown such an abundance?

And would love to see photos of your growing conditions! :) Always an inspiration - and inspiration is sorely needed as my apartment, apart from the kitchen and the bathroom, tends to look like Erica (NYCEric)! ;)

The plant was seriously analyzed during judging and almost was scored for an award but was passed reluctantly due to twisting in the middle flower dorsal sepal (which to me isn’t that bad ... it is a species after all and not a flat and round hybrid). This is the best labiata to have been presented in this region and yet failed to be acknowledged . Oh well, next time.

Here are pics from that day at judging. Spectacular even with the ‘twist’.

BCC0A653-C176-46FC-B7D6-F12B1494DA1A.jpeg FED984C7-083D-406A-9529-7BA40D2D04AE.jpeg 8317FC70-C091-4F5D-B763-E16A68BE7DFC.jpeg

Thanks all. Hopefully next blooming one year (!!!!) from now will be just as nice for colour and size. If there are only two flowers then, I will have to change the name to ‘Dos Amigos’ lol.

Jens, my collections of 300 cattleyas are spread over several locations; my indoor light shelves, two friend’s greenhouses, and at the Montreal Botanical Garden (which I’m donating plants to preserve the rarer species).

Jens, my collections of 300 cattleyas are spread over several locations; my indoor light shelves, two friend’s greenhouses, and at the Montreal Botanical Garden (which I’m donating plants to preserve the rarer species).

Ah, that makes sense! I was starting to wonder, if you were living in a canadian version of Nero Wolfe's 3-5 storey (depending wether you include the basement and the rooftop plant rooms or not) brownstone townhouse on 35th street, N.Y.?! ;)

Guldal, if your house looks like mine, you're in trouble!

I'm probably not quite there....yet! But I think one could say, that I'm working hard in that direction :confused::oops::rolleyes: Judge for yourself:

20200111_151302.jpg 20200111_151235.jpg 20200111_151221.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back