Cattleya labiata coerulea ‘Blue Bells’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslie, my plant has very thick and compact pseudobulbs, very thick leaves, and the double sheath is also very thick, which is why I have to cut off the top 1/3 early enough or the inflorescence has trouble getting through. The flower substance is heavy. Plus rarely blooming in the fall has had me thinking something is off genetically, but I always doubt my culture until this last year. I will re-evaluate after the next bloom. The new growth has a sheath now so we will see when it blooms and what it is like in better culture conditions.

Leslie, my plant has very thick and compact pseudobulbs, very thick leaves, and the double sheath is also very thick, which is why I have to cut off the top 1/3 early enough or the inflorescence has trouble getting through. The flower substance is heavy. Plus rarely blooming in the fall has had me thinking something is off genetically, but I always doubt my culture until this last year. I will re-evaluate after the next bloom. The new growth has a sheath now so we will see when it blooms and what it is like in better culture conditions.
The range of genetic inheritance allows the variability we see in our plants. I suspect yours may be more polyploid and therefore have thicker bulbs and heavier sheaths. This polyploidy may also trigger blooming in different times too.

Since it is in sheath now, it won't be long for blooms to pop up.

Latest posts

Back