Cattleya labiata coerulea ‘Blue Balls’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely the best bloom this plant has achieved (in DBryan’s GH). Almost 15.5 cm , round, flat and blue! Too bad it won’t last for judging 3 weeks from now ,(.

This form is considered ‘ceniza’ type meaning that the petals and sepals are also bluish (vs true coerulea which has white sepals and petals).

2F486B15-A004-456B-AFE9-18977DC38E34.jpegCAF5B37A-69C2-4887-AB68-0959BFFC7EDB.jpegCDAD6C5B-4239-4FCD-A2D2-954026ED887A.jpeg

Gorgeous, Leslie! 🤩

As you know, I'm only a newbie, when it comes to Catts, but hasn't it a remarkably and exceptional good form for a labiata (Nice stance of the dorsal, no 'flabbiness' in the petals, etc.)?!
Yes it does Jens. Good observations. That’s why I think it’s award quality.

Gorgeous, Leslie! 🤩

As you know, I'm only a newbie, when it comes to Catts, but hasn't it a remarkably and exceptional good form for a labiata (Nice stance of the dorsal, no 'flabbiness' in the petals, etc.)?!
Jens,
”flabbiness” that’s an interesting term. Say more please….
Leslie,
is flabbiness an official judging term?

Flabby over here tends to refer to the soft fatty parts of a person or other thing, so might not be the best term for such delicate plant parts as a Cattleya dorsal!

Since it’s the only plant in the world, I can easily change to ‘Blue Bells’ when it’s awarded for the sake of modesty lol.
Leslie
Please consider doing so. It is a really lovely flower and
a lovely flower deserves a lovely name.
An ugly flower, well that’s another matter.
Just sayin…

Jens,
”flabbiness” that’s an interesting term. Say more please….
Leslie,
is flabbiness an official judging term?
Tom, I think, I (erroneously) took it from the British 'flabby' - soft, loose, fleshy, unfirm...but now realizes, that this is one of the cases, where my limitations as a non-native speaker painfully show! It ought, of course, to have been 'floppiness' (whether now that is an official judging term or not)! 😉

Latest posts

Back