Cattleya jongheana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done.

What is your culture and media?

Thank you, Leslie.

It’s mounted on a tree fern totem. Winter culture: The plant is on shelves that abut an East window, with LED lights above the orchids. The totem sits in a shallow, plastic refrigerator box filled with red lava rock and sand (per a Cattleya cultural note in one of JN Rentoul’s books.) The sandbox is always kept damp. I only water this plant in the afternoons, so that it has humidity overnight - a jongheana-specific tip that I read in an old Orchid Digest issue. A ceiling fan runs during the day. There is a heatmat under the box, with heat on during the day, but it’s really there more for my other Catt’s and Mexi’s.

The plant summers outside on our deck, on an east-facing end. It comes in in the Fall, when overnight temps fall to the mid 40’s. Weak fertilizer at every watering during growing season.

Thank you, Leslie.

It’s mounted on a tree fern totem. Winter culture: The plant is on shelves that abut an East window, with LED lights above the orchids. The totem sits in a shallow, plastic refrigerator box filled with red lava rock and sand (per a Cattleya cultural note in one of JN Rentoul’s books.) The sandbox is always kept damp. I only water this plant in the afternoons, so that it has humidity overnight - a jongheana-specific tip that I read in an old Orchid Digest issue. A ceiling fan runs during the day. There is a heatmat under the box, with heat on during the day, but it’s really there more for my other Catt’s and Mexi’s.

The plant summers outside on our deck, on an east-facing end. It comes in in the Fall, when overnight temps fall to the mid 40’s. Weak fertilizer at every watering during growing season.
Wonderful tips, thanks!

Beautiful I like it better now I really like the floppy petals most people don't like droopy flowers with spices like mossiae but I do I have never hired of this one where do you get it?
Patrick

Latest posts

Back