Cattleya Helen P Dane 'Magnifica' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
Original division of the plant from the Dane Estate. Registered by Dane 1941, this cross is notable because it pre-dated Bow Bells which was registered in 1945. The parents are Barbara Dane and Edithiae alba 'White Empress'. This particular Edithiae was also the plant used to make Bow Bells, so while this plant is not a direct Bow Bells descendent, there is definitely a familial resemblance. I have noticed that the growth habit seems to be quite different from the Bow Bells and Bob Betts in my collection, in particular it has extremely tall and slender pseudobulbs. It has been open ~3 days and has just started to smell very nice when sitting in the sun. This came to me as a bareroot division a couple of months ago, and it was in sheath - so I can't take full credit for getting it to bloom. It has rooted well, so when I noticed it pushing up some buds, I decided to let it bloom and see what it looked like. The petals recurve a bit more than in some of the other photos I have seen, but that may be because it is still settling into my grow area. I'm excited to see how it looks in the future on a well-established plant!Helen P Dane Magnifica.jpgHelen P Dane Magnifica II.jpgHelen P Dane Magnifica III.jpg

love it. wonder what crossing with a classic bow bells would produce.
Interesting idea! It looks like Rivermont registered that cross in 1955 as Cattleya North Star. I can’t find any awards to the grex, so I guess none of the flowers surpassed Bow Bells and Bob Betts? Maybe if the right Bow Bells were used though….

Amazing that this bloomed off a recent bare root division. Great growing and thanks for sharing. Love the white Catts.
I was surprised too, but these corsage-type plants were bred to be floriferous and vigorous. I suppose that’s why they have survived ~80 years and are still so rewarding to grow!

Really beautiful! When I was young I read a book about white Cattleya hybrids and it started a life long addiction to orchid collecting!

Flowers just dropped today. It started opening up in September, so it lasted a total of 5 weeks, which seems unusually long for a complex white hybrid. I wonder if it passes this trait on to its offspring?DC2B0F7F-DDE1-4D96-A9E9-FA560B20D72B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back