Cattleya guttata ' padre Vitor'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely flowers....

But ... I am sorry to be bearer of dubiousness but this is likely not pure guttata for several reasons.

1. the base color pink is off (pink does not exist in this shade for this species)
2. the lip is far to wide ratio with the rest of flower
3. the carriage of the sepals and petals in the same plane is not the trait of guttatas.

I suspect likely it has violacea in the background (possibly even the natural hybrid), known as the registered C. Feuillati (1897). And through no wrongdoing on your part, the plant has been propagated and labeled as such mistakenly for the many years it has been existence, and passed as the true guttatta.

But again, I might be wrong :).

Last edited:
Lovely flowers....

But ... I am sorry to be bearer of dubiousness but this is likely not pure guttata for several reasons.

1. the base color pink is off (pink does not exist in this shade for this species)
2. the lip is far to wide ratio with the rest of flower
3. the carriage of the sepals and petals in the same plane is not the trait of guttatas.

I suspect likely it has violacea in the background (possibly even the natural hybrid), known as the registered C. Feuillati (1897). And through no wrongdoing on your part, the plant has been propagated and labeled as such mistakenly for the many years it has been existence, and passed as the true guttatta.

But again, I might be wrong :).
Leslie, no worries! It could be.
But just take the following in consideration:
-the pink colour that appear in the picture Is not so pink in reality( I take picture with my phone...not the best optics for sure)
light conditions into the GH may false real colour.
I agree about petals and sepals carriage.
May be a natural hybrid.

I will take a better picture next flowering.
Thanks for your observations!

Back