Cattleya gaskelliana var concolor ‘Ananconda’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely flowers, Leslie. What I'm wondering about is....one flower has an upright dorsal and the other ones a bended one. Do you have any explanaitions ?

Flowers with recurved dorsal opened in the greenhouse facing the light. One with upright dorsal opened in living room with reverse to the light. The dorsal is still upright. I have noticed in the past that cattleya can be influenced by either facing or having the back of the flower to the light source. This can influence reflexing and recurving segments, but it is not in stone and can vary with other conditions, perhaps temperature and humidity also play a part.

Flowers with recurved dorsal opened in the greenhouse facing the light. One with upright dorsal opened in living room with reverse to the light. The dorsal is still upright. I have noticed in the past that cattleya can be influenced by either facing or having the back of the flower to the light source. This can influence reflexing and recurving segments, but it is not in stone and can vary with other conditions, perhaps temperature and humidity also play a part.
David, thanks for your explanatons.

They say this is true for Paphiopedilum dorsal that grows towards the light. I have not seen this happen with cattleyas, but I’m curious to investigate.

Latest posts

Back