Cattleya gaskelliana semi alba ‘Maria Victoria’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A choice clone, not only semi alba, but like many of those from Dr Leslie, with striping on the petals and sepals.
This is a first bloom for me and it’s not the strongest.
The flowers are smaller than those on blue dragon, so as the new growth is also rooting, it’s probably time to remove them and get the plant fully established.
They still have the lovely sweet scent of this species.
FBA07F0A-C51F-41D5-B57C-A9804284FDCB.jpeg

639D76BD-863B-42DD-A189-C23120CCF979.jpeg
David

I think nearly all cattleya aficionados love a semi alba, they’re just so striking. Then when you add some petal flares, it just tops it off!
This plants should improve and the flares should become more apparent In future.
David

'fly speck'?
I think that is what Mauro Rosim told me about 'pincelada' once when I asked him.

The terms are sometimes misinterpreted by growers as it is thrown around like normal vocabulary. Clear definitions are not often easy to find. In the judging evaluation, the terms are very important to differentiate the numerous forms and varieties.

Mosca is the 'fly speck' on the tip of the lip, like a small spot.

Flamea is a large flaring that covers up to half the distal half of the petals, while pincelada are mini brush strokes.

Leslie, is there a secret judges handbook that lists and defines all the terms used to describe various forms of Cattleya species or do you have to create it personally from comments and writings of others?

Leslie, is there a secret judges handbook that lists and defines all the terms used to describe various forms of Cattleya species or do you have to create it personally from comments and writings of others?
I am sure Leslie will respond in more detail but a simple answer to your question is all of the above.
in the meantime here are two references which while helpful are also a bit mind numbing:

884287BC-F0BB-4D0E-B497-26A1BC1DBE69.jpegDEAA1F49-F2F4-4CD1-B4F0-1A9468AF34B0.jpeg

Good book references Tom.

These and other taxonomic books and experiences, along with discussions with many orchids experts and enthusiasts (including on here), help me learn the descriptive terms. It is a never ending endeavour!

Whenever I’m in doubt, I will refer to these sources and confirm with experts before I make any statements or posts. That is the best way in order to reduce the dissemination of wrong information.

Latest posts

Back