Cattleya f.k.a. walkeriana fma. alba 'Pendentive' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought this plant under its former name - with 3 lovely flowers and a nice flowery scent, rosey with a hint of lemon.
I've read that 'Pendentive' now by many are condidered C. x dolosa (loddigesii x walkeriana). I wonder whether my newbie even is a more complex hybrid?
Whatever its true identity: I like it! :cool:
20200502_190535.jpg 20200502_192050.jpg 20200502_190546.jpg

...you'll have to repot when the blooms are gone.
Na na nah nah! And don't take is beauty to your
office.

It's already in my office! I will enjoy this flowering as long as I can - and then look forward to repot it (an activity I quite enjoy - I find it relaxing and a nice way to get more in touch - in a rather litterate meaning - with the plants!) ;)

i find repotting very therapeutic - but not after 5 days when my fingers are cut and bruised!

My immediate thought was 'somebody has too many plants'...but then it slowly dawned upon me: thank God for my inorganic growth medium! (my plants only need repotting, when I get them, when they grow out of their pots, or sometimes when something has gone wrong and I try to save them by transferring them to a smaller pot, than before. This of course, when I flush the media thouroghly ca. once every month)

It's already in my office! I will enjoy this flowering as long as I can - and then look forward to repot it (an activity I quite enjoy - I find it relaxing and a nice way to get more in touch - in a rather litterate meaning - with the plants!) ;)
I agree with you with repotting everything but cattleya, cattleya can be a pain to repot: roots clinging everywhere, broken pots, roots on neighbor pots or attached to benches and all, very nice pendentive!

Lovely flowers and well grown plant. As to the name of the plant maybe you've heard of Walter Richter the great German gardener, orchid breeder and book author. I had the luck to know him in personal. He once said analogously....The most important thing is if you own and like a plant....to grow it well. Many want to write a name on the tag too, that's normal but not the most importat thing. Names are man made and are changing sometimes. Nature doesn't know names........ Maybe that's a bit of consolation.

Am I correct that I heard ‘Pendentive’ was the result of an ‘Orchidglade’ selfing?
Yes I think so. And I'm pretty sure I read Orchidglade was collected from the wild. Which makes Pendentive pretty much a natural plant as well.
There has been some work done but nothing concrete yet. Selfings of Pendentive don't seem to show much variation. I wonder if Orchidglade was a loddigessii x walkeriana x walkeriana?
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ved_Cattleya_walkeriana_Gardner_famous_clones

Latest posts

Back