Cattleya eldorado pentaflamea (syn: wallisii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the beauties that I reserved in Brazil from a private collection. Five pincelada flares on all tips with a fairly flat shape. Quite showy in my opinion. Collected over 50 years ago.

8ECD8925-FA1C-4B96-8BA3-57A6BC89FDD9.jpeg
View attachment IMG_6602.MOV

No name yet … any suggestions for clonal or cultivar names?

Leslie, do you insist on viral testing on everything that you buy, especially older plants? I haven’t ever had a younger seedling be positive, but I would want to be sure about a 50 year old plant! The rex that I bought was jungle collected and shipped to the US in about 2002 for greenhouse growth was positive when I got it this last year. Three large growths - heart breaking but I had to throw it.

Leslie, do you insist on viral testing on everything that you buy, especially older plants? I haven’t ever had a younger seedling be positive, but I would want to be sure about a 50 year old plant! The rex that I bought was jungle collected and shipped to the US in about 2002 for greenhouse growth was positive when I got it this last year. Three large growths - heart breaking but I had to throw it.
I only viral test them if I see leaves or flowers have suspicious markings. Then after I decide if valuable to keep or chuck. If I decide to keep viral positive plant, it goes into a quarantine shelf with others of its ilk.

Too bad re your rex.

Many heirloom and heritage plants are with virus but managed to grow and flower without symptoms. They are kept in separate areas for their special provenance and historical importance. Perhaps some of the collectors here have that kind of space to monitor these ‘infected’ plants, although I know many have already destroyed them for the good of their collection (completely understandable).

I don't think plants of great value or historical value that are virused should be thrown away. They should be kept in collections such as mine! I have started taking valuable and historic plants from my OS that would be disposeed of and possibly lost forever. I like to think that some day it will be financially available to have all these things cleaned up.
-Patrick

Back