Cattleya eldorado flamea ‘Flor de Gaia’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the most beautiful eldorado cultivars I have ever seen. Such bright fuschia color on the petals, contrasting with the pink sepals.

It’s the cultivar that made me fall in love again with this species (again). I love it so much I’m acquiring 4 divisions from different sources! Am I crazy?!

This is one of my plant (still in Brazil) in bloom with two inflorescences, one with 3 flowers and 2 flowers on other (plant coming in November).

A very famous and rare cultivar, I’m fortunate to own even one 😅.

Enjoy!

872047D2-0F60-4884-9539-9CD181968CA6.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the most beautiful eldorado cultivars I have ever seen. Such bright fuschia color on the petals, contrasting with the pink sepals.

It’s the cultivar that made me fall in love again with this species (again). I love it so much I’m acquiring 4 divisions from different sources! Am I crazy?!

This is one of my plant (still in Brazil) in bloom with two inflorescences, one with 3 flowers and 2 flowers on other (plant coming in November).

A very famous and rare cultivar, I’m fortunate to own even one 😅.

Enjoy!

View attachment 38260
That color is like the happiest-ever punch to the face. 😍

To be fair I fell into this hole a few years ago and I am sitting on eldorado seedling with a flame parent.. from the now defunct Orchid Trail… I believe this was all due to YOUR post :) will be a few years until I know what I’ve got.

To be fair I fell into this hole a few years ago and I am sitting on eldorado seedling with a flame parent.. from the now defunct Orchid Trail… I believe this was all due to YOUR post :) will be a few years until I know what I’ve got.
I take full responsibility lol for your fall 😇.

Do you have the parentage of your eldorado seedling? I just bought two from Tamiami. Cross from Orchid Eros of (Mt Ito x flamea sib).

Now Mt Ito was the only eldorado that was mericloned and available worldwide. It has its share of doubt as a real species.

After my education and experience in Brazil from eldorado experts, I had the opportunity to examine the flowers of Mt Ito and can confirm that it is likely a hybrid because it had morphological traits inconsistent with the eldorado traits I examined from native plants.

The most obvious trait is that Mt Ito inflorescence is too long from the sheath. True eldorados start their flower bud right at the tip of the sheath and flowers open low on sheath where the floral pedicles/bracts of Mt Ito flower open about 10 cm above the sheath tip. See below pics.

Flor de Gaia:

4DA9BD35-097D-41D1-8553-4838A4A2C57D.jpeg238CC086-DF53-4E25-80DB-7160CA8C2DDD.jpeg
You can see above the sheath starts at the first flower. All confirmed native eldorados (about 100 plants observed including in the jungles of the deep Amazon during my expedition) I have seen flower this way.

Mt Ito:

A71F5BAE-0144-46DA-AE4E-F2FDFCAED408.jpegF6EBA011-33BF-4E30-9B26-49FF9DD1E94D.jpeg
You can see above the sheath is 10 cm from the first flower.

I take full responsibility lol for your fall 😇.

Do you have the parentage of your eldorado seedling? I just bought two from Tamiami. Cross from Orchid Eros of (Mt Ito x flamea sib).

Now Mt Ito was the only eldorado that was mericloned and available worldwide. It has its share of doubt as a real species.

After my education and experience in Brazil from eldorado experts, I had the opportunity to examine the flowers of Mt Ito and can confirm that it is likely a hybrid because it had morphological traits inconsistent with the eldorado traits I examined from native plants.

The most obvious trait is that Mt Ito inflorescence is too long from the sheath. True eldorados start their flower bud right at the tip of the sheath and flowers open low on sheath where the floral pedicles/bracts of Mt Ito flower open about 10 cm above the sheath tip. See below pics.

Flor de Gaia:

View attachment 38290View attachment 38291
You can see above the sheath starts at the first flower. All confirmed native eldorados (about 100 plants observed including in the jungles of the deep Amazon during my expedition) I have seen flower this way.

Mt Ito:

View attachment 38292View attachment 38293
You can see above the sheath is 10 cm from the first flower.
Ohhh nooo.

E7F1379F-2E23-408D-A34C-7A76E995C159.jpeg

I’m sitting on a few of them too as multiple seedlings were in the pot and I saved every one. I really only searched for Mt. Ito because of the flower seemed better than any of the others I have seen.. probably because of its hybrid background.

Actually you know what. I just looked at my tag, and the seedlings are from Ben at EROS, not orchid trail. So same source, picked mine up in 2020, probably from the same pod as yours. Getting close but still feel it’s 2-3 years away. The 3 cattleyas you see are the seedlings, there is one more smaller aircone pot behind them, 4 total.

F34A9729-55CB-4EE8-9A34-94D4E989EA18.jpeg

Yes we have same babies from same seed pod. Let’s see how they are when they bloom out. Mine is slightly smaller. So maybe in 3 years or so to bloom.

Back