Cattleya dry rot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
This has been a problem cattleya for me, it came as a bareroot division last year and took a while to get established (the box got stuck in transit during a heatwave and several plants in the order showed signs of extreme heat stress). While the other plants have since recovered and are growing fine, this one has never been particularly vigorous, although it did have a beautiful surprise bloom this year. I have tested it for CymMV and ORSV using the Agdia strips and it is negative, but I noticed at some point that it has this dry rot on the undersides of some of the leaves. The plant originally came from a very warm and humid climate, but I grow indoors in the northeast U.S. so my humidity is generally extremely low, and I almost never have any issues with rots/fungus. I feel like this is something that may have been latent in the plant and was brought on by the stress of division, extreme heat during shipping, and adapting to a new environment. The rot is extremely slow moving, and it mostly affects the older growths, although there is a small spot on the newest growth as well. I can see lots of green root tips in the pot now that it's spring, so I'm wondering if this is something the plant might outgrow since the newer growths seem less affected? Or should I be treating it aggressively?

Spots on the underside of the oldest leaf:
Spots.jpg
The largest spots on an older leaf:Penultimate.jpg
A small spot on the newest leaf that penetrates from top to bottom:
Top.jpgUnderside.jpg

Thanks all for the responses! I suppose even if it’s damage from heat/shipping there could still be a secondary infection, so it probably wouldn’t hurt to treat it per Ray’s suggestion. Since I grow in my home, I generally try to avoid harsh chemicals, but I’ll look into a copper-based spray.

Wonder what is happening down in the pot…. Is there any active root growth or any new active ‘eyes’?

Latest posts

Back