Cattleya dowiana var. aurea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

Reaction score
Just as JeanLux I have got my first Cattleya dowiana in bloom and I am thrilled! :drool:

This is a first-flowering seedling, bought two years ago from a dutch vendor. As I said, this is the first time I have flowered this magnificent species and I am thrilled even though it is only one flower. This is a species I have wanted to flower for some years now, and I am pleased that I managed to do it even though I am a windowsill grower with its limitations. The fragrance is heavenly!! Beats any of my previous favorites (jenmanii, gaskelliana).

I am no expert (far from) but I think the color and shape was quite good for a dowiana. I especially love the veining of the lip.

6260639012_90ba1d94f6_b.jpg

Shows the purple flushing on the petal backsides
6260639016_202ac70485_b.jpg

The plant, grown in Epiweb with sphagnum on top. Dries out very quickly
6260639020_a79215feeb_b.jpg

That is a stunning flower!

I've often put off buying Catt species as I'm also a windowsill grower, but I think I need to give them a whirl!

And again a very nice pattern on the lip. Care to share from which Dutch vendor you bought this plant?

Very nice plant! The asymmetry of the puple pattern is astonishing.
Best regards, Gina

Thanks for your comments!

It was from Botanisches Orchideeën.

Thanks for the info, Botanische Orchideeen has some nice plants for sale on a regular basis. I know the owner quite well and visited him one time as well.

I hope that next flowering will get rid of the "unwanted" colouring on the upper right "sepal".

The splashing in the petals is a common trait for this species and can be quite nice when balanced. Super job! This is one of the easier cat species to kill.

The splashing in the petals is a common trait for this species and can be quite nice when balanced. Super job! This is one of the easier cat species to kill.

Thanks! I know about killing them. Bought a FS plant from Ecuagenera a few years ago. It died from pseudobulb rot within a month... :eek:

Latest posts

Back