Cattleya dormanniana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha yes it is quite a special one. How does the culture for this one compare to "normal" Cattleya culture? I've got a little seedling, but I'm not that sure what to do with it. I'm guessing that is grows a little cooler / wetter?

Haha yes it is quite a special one. How does the culture for this one compare to "normal" Cattleya culture? I've got a little seedling, but I'm not that sure what to do with it. I'm guessing that is grows a little cooler / wetter?
Yes, it can be found only in Organ Mountains next to Rio De Janeiro where it grows on dead trunks of trees, next to the ground.It needs bright light but no direct sunlight, likes high humidity but easily rot if get too much direct water.

This is one of the Cattleya species you don't find often in cultivation. I don't know why, because it is actually quite easy to grow. I only managed to find 3 plants in Canada since I started growing orchids more than 15 years ago. So whenever I can find one, I just get it. One of the plants I found many years ago, I overwatered it and the roots all rotted. Since then, I managed to find 2 plants. One seedling (from Hawaii) and another one blooming size but rootless plant. The seedling will still take sometime before it becomes bs plant, but tones of roots. I received the no-root Cattleya dormaniana 3 years ago from a friend and this year (the 3rd growing season), it has 1 bud this year (still inside the sheath). I don't do anything special, just regular cattleya culture (intermediate to warm temp, as much light as possible before it burns the leaves), and since it is a bifoliate species, I make sure that the pot is bone dry before I water.

I will post when it blooms, the plant is from a Japanese nursery so the flower colour is supposed to be very dark.

Another side note about C. dormaniana, the leaf is more brittle than all the other Cattleya species I have in my collection, they are thinner so make sure that you don't touch it too much.

Last edited:
As promised, my C. dormaniana just opened. This is a rescued plant. Took me 3 years to bloom it. The plant is still not in a good shape yet but I think it will be in a better shape in 2-3 years time.

1635009039041.png1635009063075.png1635009074599.png

Back