Cattleya Dinard ‘Blue Heaven’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This plant bloomed in Sept/Oct with 3 inflorescences on one spike. I brought it upstairs to my breakfast room which was a couple of degrees cooler (southeastern exposure) to enjoy the blooms. Another spike was developing, so after the blooms faded on the first spike, I returned the plant to my grow room. Within a week the new spike began to turn yellow and dark at the base. I slit it open as there were 3 obvious buds inside that I didn’t want to lose and it looked like the sheath was decaying. I did end up losing 2 of the 3. The one remaining opened this week.
My question is: should I not have changed the environment the plant was in when the first flowers bloomed and another spike was developing? Is that what made the sheath turn yellow and caused the blast of 2 of the 3 buds? This flower is larger, but I attribute that to the loss of the other two buds. this lip is wider and more showey.417673C5-8467-4C9B-BB5A-AA938034E439.jpeg9FC385D7-7A3A-4B0E-B10E-B41256709398.jpeg

Catts are pretty hardy, so I doubt the enviro change caused such troubles. I would often move my Catts from my city office (great light!) to home when they were in bud bloom and never any trouble. I had to dispose of mine due to +virus test, so I know why it never bloomed for me. A shame as this is one of the nicest Catt Hybrids!!!!

Catts are pretty hardy, so I doubt the enviro change caused such troubles. I would often move my Catts from my city office (great light!) to home when they were in bud bloom and never any trouble. I had to dispose of mine due to +virus test, so I know why it never bloomed for me. A shame as this is one of the nicest Catt Hybrids!!!!
Oh, I’m sad about your losing this one to a virus +. This is one of the first one’s I tested and held my breath until the test showed negative. I literally would have cried had this one had to go. Besides always taking my breath away when it blooms (great form or not), it was the first Catt I bought which started me down the road to Catts when I knew nothing about growing them. And, it survived 4 years on a windowsill never blooming which was a main motivation for my moving to lights.

Latest posts

Back