Cattleya bowringiana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not surprised. Your culture has suddenly improved or the plant is maturing!
My work has moved to another place, facing evenmore South than before...and I have moved from the somewhat conservative feeding regime of my Paphs to a more heavy duty one with the Catts (3 times feeding + 1 time only watering in the plant's growth periode). So maybe, one could consider, if the case is, that both the plant and I somehow have matured? ;)

More feed + more light = larger growths. Now if you’re really interested, how far can you punch them with feed and light before it causes problems? Dodidoki has one solution. 1200ms sounds to be very high levels of feed!

More feed + more light = larger growths. Now if you’re really interested, how far can you punch them with feed and light before it causes problems? Dodidoki has one solution. 1200ms sounds to be very high levels of feed!
Suonded to me frightened, too....i started at 400 us.....i stopped at 1400 ( not 1200) uS every mornings in Summer.I decreased to 1200 uS every 3rd day this Fall.I never had this amount of catt flowers before.

I advise you the next for catts: foliar feeding every day with 1200 uS fertilizer solution with peters excel calmag, let the root get only fertilizer dripping down from leaves. It works....my bowringiana with 18 buds on one stem.
Your flower photos this year, Istvan, speaks volumes about your feeding regime.... and had I been a GH-grower, I certainly would test it.
But growing on a windowsill (at home and at work) the foliar feeding might pose more than a wee problem... Especially the part with "let the root get only fertilizer dripping down from leaves ..." makes me shudder! 😲 😉

Shudder....how sophystificated word. I think we are here not just to show thet we are the best growers in this world but to help each others with own experiances, falls ans successes. I have killed many rare orchids for many years. I tried to get consequences and change if needed. Just think about catts.They live on rocks or thee branches . They never get water during a longer period.They dry out within an hour. If they stand in wet they will rot quickly.

Yes
Shudder....how sophystificated word. I think we are here not just to show thet we are the best growers in this world but to help each others with own experiances, falls ans successes. I have killed many rare orchids for many years. I tried to get consequences and change if needed. Just think about catts.They live on rocks or thee branches . They never get water during a longer period.They dry out within an hour. If they stand in wet they will rot quickly.
I totally agree! It's so nice that you share your experience and hopefully some of the other GH growers might try out your feeding advice. If in doubt, they should check out your amazing and expertly grown C. dowiana (and the rest of the Catts you have posted lately!) 🥰
I, myself, have also been very grateful for David's (monocotman) kind advice and experience on window-sill Catt-growing in the upper Northern hemisphere, on good European Catt-vendors, etc.!

Last edited:
I used Norman’s foliar feed in rotation at 800 ppm (EC 1000) as it’s urea based. I will also spray a little into the pots to get some roots. I think it helps lol.

PS the bowringiana dwarf growths may be response to previous culture, and with better feed it may get to ‘normal’ height.

Change in light and other culture may be a factor AND Looks to me like she may be maturing. i find that as plants hit maturity they can really take off, more leads, bigger Pbulbs etc. Specimen size = glorious.

Back