Cattleya bowringiana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My compact growing Catt. bowringiana gave me this year 2 inflorescenses, each with 4 flowers.
We don't have much natural light these days, as the sky mostly presents itself with various shades of grey (without the fun of the novel, though! 🙄).
I've thus had to take the photos by artificial indoor light - if we see the sun before the flowers fold, I'll see, if I can rectify that.
20211018_171636.jpgAnother light:
20211018_172025.jpgDetail:20211018_171758.jpgPlant in toto:20211018_171553.jpgPlant in window sill:20211018_172612.jpg

hahaha! Is it a corn-farm or something outside?

At first I thought it was some Miscanthus (ornamental grass) but perhaps a Sorghum?

There's an interesting array of buildings in the background, from very industrial to very ornate and traditional!

If you 'slashed' the jungle outside you would get more light....LOL
hahaha! Is it a corn-farm or something outside?
At first I thought it was some Miscanthus (ornamental grass) but perhaps a Sorghum?
I'm always happy to contribute to the merriment and delectation of you, witty Gentlemen! 😁
The bowringiana is gracing the window sill in the meeting room at my work place - the growths outside are not weed, but bamboo running amok.
The hospital hasn't had too much luck after switching to a new firm of gardeners.
This is a photo of my office from the outside in August. It looks quite pittoresque, but it ain't much fun when you have to turn on the light inside, while the sun is shining full blast outside. As the summer progressed I felt more and more like Little Briar-Rose, Rosamond. Alas, I waited in vain for the strong, handsome Prince, coming to my rescue! 20210820_145428.jpg

Last edited:
You have been rewarded by very nice flowers. As far as the jungle outside goes, I love it! It looks like and old English mansion.

If it was a bamboo then you wouldn't have to worry about it for much longer as they die after flowering!
As it is, I'm pretty sure it's an ornamental grass and it will be back next year! Hopefully the university's garden maintenance team will cut it back to the ground in spring so you get some more light in in spring and early summer at least!

The Cattleya is obviously happy with conditions and your care though!

Do you work at a hospital?
I work at an outpatient unit for young adults with first episode pscyhosis (OPUS) at Copenhagen Center for Mental Health. Technically, we are a hospital unit, and thus enjoy the practical services - or lack of such, that are associated with the hospitals in the greater Copenhagen area.

Very pretty flowers and a healthy plant. Are the blooms fragrant?
Thank you, Angela. The other day I couldn't detect any fragrance, but my sniffing around might have been too late in the day. Today, at an earlier point of time, they had a lovely, honeyed scent!

Last edited:
Jens, during my almost 40 years of orchid enthusiasm I have seen only few C. bowringianas, less than fingers at one hand, which grew that compact as yours. So yours is excellent to grow on a window-sill.
As to the plant in front of the window I'm with eds.....I think it's a kind of Miscanthus.

Latest posts

Back