Cattleya Bob Betts 'White Wings' AM/AOC, FCC/RHS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
This original division came to me by way of Plato Matthews. A few years ago when I was putting in an order, I asked his opinion for a great, heirloom white cattleya that wasn't on my "must-have" list. He suggested this plant because it has wonderful flowers and is hard to find. He did not steer me wrong. Huge white petals (I'm assuming this is where the 'wings' in the name came from) and incredible substance. I also love how the yellow in the lip extends on the outside of the tube. Wonderful, strong fragrance to boot. The dorsal was standing straight up for a few days, but then my humidity dropped precipitously (thank you changing seasons) and it started to curl. Oh well, there's always the next blooming! The cross is C. Bow Bells x C. mossiae and was registered by Clint McDade in 1950. I believe this plant won its FCC in 1961, and the AM in 1973, but I have not independently confirmed this. I do not know if it's from the original grex, but the later awards dates would suggest to me it's probably from a re-make or a sibling cross. If anyone has any additional information about this plant, I'd love to hear it.
aIMG_8545.JPG
aIMG_8504.JPG
aIMG_8558.JPG

At home on the windowsill:
aIMG_8586.JPG

Another stunning clone from this amazing grex. It must have been an amazing sight when these all started to flower in Clint Mcdade’s greenhouses and he realised that nearly every plant was outstanding.
It’s unlikely to be a remake. It is most probably a plant from his original crossing.
If you read Art Chadwicks account of this grex it’s clear that whatever plant Clint used to cross onto Bow Bells it wasn’t what he said it was ( an alba mossiae). It was remake countless times afterwards with alba mossiaes and none flowered like this grex. Some think he used an alba gravesiana (mossiae x lueddemaniana) but we don’t know and Clint never told. It’s a old hybridiser‘s trick to maintain the scarcity and uniqueness of this group of plants.

Another stunning clone from this amazing grex. It must have been an amazing sight when these all started to flower in Clint Mcdade’s greenhouses and he realised that nearly every plant was outstanding.
It’s unlikely to be a remake. It is most probably a plant from his original crossing.
If you read Art Chadwicks account of this grex it’s clear that whatever plant Clint used to cross onto Bow Bells it wasn’t what he said it was ( an alba mossiae). It was remake countless times afterwards with alba mossiaes and none flowered like this grex. Some think he used an alba gravesiana (mossiae x lueddemaniana) but we don’t know and Clint never told. It’s an old hybridiser‘s trick to maintain the scarcity and uniqueness of this group of plants.
Agree the history is fascinating. I wouldn’t rule out that it could be from a sibling cross. Cattleya Bob Betts ‘The Virgin’ FCC/AOS, which was awarded in 1960 was from a sibling cross done by McDade of Bob Betts ‘52’ x Bob Betts ‘Rivermont’, so it’s possible that this plant could even be from the same pod as “The Virgin’. I suppose Jeff Bradley would know.

This original division came to me by way of Plato Matthews. A few years ago when I was putting in an order, I asked his opinion for a great, heirloom white cattleya that wasn't on my "must-have" list. He suggested this plant because it has wonderful flowers and is hard to find. He did not steer me wrong. Huge white petals (I'm assuming this is where the 'wings' in the name came from) and incredible substance. I also love how the yellow in the lip extends on the outside of the tube. Wonderful, strong fragrance to boot. The dorsal was standing straight up for a few days, but then my humidity dropped precipitously (thank you changing seasons) and it started to curl. Oh well, there's always the next blooming! The cross is C. Bow Bells x C. mossiae and was registered by Clint McDade in 1950. I believe this plant won its FCC in 1961, and the AM in 1973, but I have not independently confirmed this. I do not know if it's from the original grex, but the later awards dates would suggest to me it's probably from a re-make or a sibling cross. If anyone has any additional information about this plant, I'd love to hear it.
View attachment 39261
View attachment 39262
View attachment 39263

At home on the windowsill:
View attachment 39264
I don't have access to RHS records, but I looked carefully through AOS Orchids Pro and a Bob Betts 'White Wings' isn't listed as awarded. There is a 'White Dawn', 'White Caps', and 'White Christmas'. Maybe someone can check in OrchidWiz, but I think Orchids Pro on the AOS website is supposed to be definitive. I don't have access to the RHS database to check its awards for the cultivar.

Award no:0121
Genus:Cattleya
Plant name:C. Bob Betts 'White Wings'
Owner:Hughes W. Show all awards this owner
Award:AM/AOC 1973 (NSW)
Date:16.Oct.1973
Event:
Description:1 flower all over white throat yellow-orange 23A
Parentage:(C. Bow Bells x C. mossiae) List all awards this grex or species
Flower length:152.0
Flower width:159.0
Flower petals:L 83W
Dorsal sepal:L 44W
Ventral sepals:L 44W
Labellum:L 61W

Event:
I didn’t read correctly in your title. You correctly noted AM/AOC and I misread it as AOS!

I don't have access to RHS records, but I looked carefully through AOS Orchids Pro and a Bob Betts 'White Wings' isn't listed as awarded. There is a 'White Dawn', 'White Caps', and 'White Christmas'. Maybe someone can check in OrchidWiz, but I think Orchids Pro on the AOS website is supposed to be definitive. I don't have access to the RHS database to check its awards for the cultivar.

I checked OrchidWiz, which shows AOS awards for Bob Betts starting in 1952. I did not see White Wings as an AOS award, although it was awarded by NSW as well as AOC.

The cross (Bob Betts) received its first FCC with ‘The Virgin‘ in 1960 and another one for ‘Sestina’ in 1967.

The definitive AOS source is Laura Newton, the AOS awards registrar, who can be reached through AOS headquarters. Her email might even be up on the AOS website somewhere, but she is pretty awesome and undoubtedly would respond to an inquiry.

Thank you for checking!

Event:
Thank you for the detailed AOC information, and for the link to John Huges’s website, I’ll have to spend some time there, it looks like there’s lots of great information!

I checked OrchidWiz, which shows AOS awards for Bob Betts starting in 1952. I did not see White Wings as an AOS award, although it was awarded by NSW as well as AOC.

The cross (Bob Betts) received its first FCC with ‘The Virgin‘ in 1960 and another one for ‘Sestina’ in 1967.

The definitive AOS source is Laura Newton, the AOS awards registrar, who can be reached through AOS headquarters. Her email might even be up on the AOS website somewhere, but she is pretty awesome and undoubtedly would respond to an inquiry.
Thank you for checking!

Thank you all for your help. I wrote the RHS orchid council and received a very prompt and informative response:

“'White Wings' was awarded an AM in 1955 and then an FCC in 1961. The plant was owned by H W B Schröder,

There is a note on the RHS Award painting in the Lindley Library for the FC that it had 3 flowers.

If you have access to old copies of the Orchid Review the references are OR.63: p.79 and OR.69: p.157.”

I have quite a ways to go to flower it with 3 flowers, but it must have really been something! Based on the 1955 AM/RHS I will revise my earlier statement and agree with David that this plant is almost certainly from the original grex and not a later sibling cross.

1680031538760.png
The award photo from AOC in 1973.

Event:

View attachment 39330
The award photo from AOC in 1973.

Event:
Interesting - the dorsal sepal looks rather “perky” . . .

Interesting - the dorsal sepal looks rather “perky” . . .
In general I find the flower quality to be extremely variable year-to-year. I also tend to have more petal reflexing which I generally attribute to growing in my warm, dry apartment. The bloom opened flat and was the spitting image of the award photo for a couple of days before the petals reflexed and set.

I’m pretty at its best, the AOS will recognize it too. Need two flowers at the same size around 16 cm.
Leslie, broadening the issue, how do you think the Cattleya judging standards (and how points were awarded) have evolved from the 1930s until today? I have the sense that some Cattleyas that were an FCC in earlier decades might not be as highly awarded today? Yet, trianae 'The President' received an AOS FCC in 1949 and again in 2014 so there must be some absolutes that have come through?

A related question would be how variable judging standards have been between RHS, AOS, HOS, AOC, etc around the world? I suspect that some plants that might be rarely seen in one system might be judged either higher or lower than in a system in which the plants were commonplace?

Leslie, broadening the issue, how do you think the Cattleya judging standards (and how points were awarded) have evolved from the 1930s until today? I have the sense that some Cattleyas that were an FCC in earlier decades might not be as highly awarded today? Yet, trianae 'The President' received an AOS FCC in 1949 and again in 2014 so there must be some absolutes that have come through?

A related question would be how variable judging standards have been between RHS, AOS, HOS, AOC, etc around the world? I suspect that some plants that might be rarely seen in one system might be judged either higher or lower than in a system in which the plants were commonplace?
Terry, interesting question.

The scoring system has not changed since then for AOS, believe it or not. The point scale for Cattleyas is still at 30 points for form, 30 points for color and 40 points for stem (10), size (10) and texture/substance (20). There is a new point scale under review but that might not happen for a year or two.

In terms of standards of the Cattleyas through time, the ideal is still the round, flat and proportionate flower, which the Bow Bells lines still maintain. Of course we expect the size to gradually increase (up to a limit) but there are Bow Bells (and its immediate progeny) that still garner high awards at this present time. An example is the recent Bow Bells 'White Sands' got an AM of 86 points in 2017 with a whopper size of 18.8 cm with 5 flowers and 3 buds on 2 inflorescences! To compare the average size of Bow Bells was 15.2 cm.

The progeny of Bow Bells called Bob Betts (x mossiae) had 'Ramona' HCC/AOS in 1972 with 19.1 cm flowers and 'Sissie' AM/AOS (80 points) with a 17.1 cm with 2 flowers.

There are flowers like the trianae 'The President' that can withstand the test of time because they were already perfectly shaped for the species, back then and even today. If one studies the awards and look at ones like 'Jungle Queen', 'The King' and 'AC Burrage', you can see that their shape and size still matches the modern line bred ones, if not better. These will maintain their AM awards if judged today, even 50 or more years later. Similarly, 'Cashen's' FCC/AOS with its great shape and size will unlikely to be downgraded from an FCC even if rescored 50 years from now. (Note: species are compared to natural form of the species and not to hybrids).

The judging standards from different judging systems around the world can vary tremendously. Some use qualitative pointing systems like AOS (US), AOC (Australia), JOGA (Japan) and TOGA (Taiwan). Others use a voting (appreciative) system like RHS and WOC (World Orchid Conference).

The qualitative system is similar in AOS and AOC for points but different in TOGA (which gives almost 28 points to aesthetics appeal, where the other 2 systems don't). Judges in this system are trained in a long apprenticeship program with education, manuals, show attendance and student evaluations, up to 10 years. JOGA is the exception where the judges are selected similarly to the appreciative system below.

In the appreciative system, the judges are picked based on their experiences and knowledge, esp. for the RHS Orchid Committee. There is no requirement for formal training for this system as each judge was selected for their contribution to the group, whether they might be a geneticist, hybridizer, seasoned grower, taxonomist or in any field related to orchids. In WOC, the judges are usually picked from all over the world with a requirement that they have experiences and knowledge in orchids (either from the known judging systems or individuals like taxonomists/experts/scientists recommended by peers).

I have attached some training manuals from some of the systems below to help elucidate this variety of judging concepts (you may need to convert to English translation and then search around for medal judging as the foreign characters in web address didn't come through here when I tried to attach it):

AOS: https://orchidsalberta.wildapricot.org/resources/Documents/Judging-Handbook-Updated-Nov-2018.pdf

AOC: https://www.orchidsocietynsw.com.au/Documents/JudgesmanualStateDec13.pdf

TOGA: 賞蘭評鑑

JOGA: ホーム | 日本洋蘭農業協同組合

RHS: https://www.aos.org/AOS/media/Content-Images/PDFs/Judges Forum/Rittershausen_Judging-Orchids-at-the-Royal-Horticultural-Society.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back