Cattleya Bob Betts ‘white lightening’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I still had mine(a different clone). Nice job!

I agree. I’m sure that what we all have are mericlones and maybe even mericlones of mericlones.
What surprises me is just how good this mericlone is, even after 70 years. Maybe there is some reduction in quality but as we don’t know what the original looks like, how do we know?
Its still a pretty good cattleya. If the original was better, it must have been quite a plant.
plus this one is even one of the awarded ones!
maybe it was one of the most vigorous ones that grew well and was easy and quick propagate
David, I have not been able to find 'White Lightning' as an AOS awarded cultivar. Perhaps it is RHS awarded.

Terry,
I am not sure that this clone was ever awarded. So many of this grex were of such high standard that it was felt that enough is enough after 66 AOS awards and they gave up.
Maybe this is the one that has stood the test of time as regards vigour, growability and ease of mericloning and so is the one that is most often offered.
As a proof of the vigour, I’ve just measured the biggest leaf. It’s about 13 inches long and just under 4 inches wide at the widest point.
It’s huge.
Twice the area of the ones currently producing blooms.
Not bad for a clone that is probably over 70 years old.
David

The Bob Betts grex has 66 AOS awarded cultivars, including 2 FCCs, mostly in the 50s and 60s, the most awarded of any of Bow Bells progeny. White Lightning is not one of them .

FYI, A flower/plant with a clonal name doesn't mean it has been awarded by AOS or RHS. David has never indicated it is an awarded plant/flower by AOS or RHS. You can give your plant a clonal name if you think it is desirable...there is no rule against that.

FYI, A flower/plant with a clonal name doesn't mean it has been awarded by AOS or RHS. David has never indicated it is an awarded plant/flower by AOS or RHS. You can give your plant a clonal name if you think it is desirable...there is no rule against that.
Hi Tom, I think David probably hit the nail on the head. There were so many great whites in the day, they could not all be judged. C. Bow Bells ‘Honolulu’, which I understand to be the pod parent of the 1950 Bob Betts cross, was never judged. Best, Kate

Thank you for posting it! As I mentioned before, I have José Martí (Bow Bells 'snowflake' x Bob Betts 'White Lightning') and the form on your WL looks really nice and balanced. In the Historic Whites video also mentioned earlier in this thread, Jeff Bradley shows that 'Snowflake' is somewhat inferior in terms of flower shape, so I am hopeful that my JM will inherit the nice shape of WL. What is the natural spread of the flower?

Thanks Guldal,
and a happy new year to you too!
at the moment, as far as I can see, we need cites and a phyto to import from the EU.
That may change in the coming weeks, but then again, it may not!
time will tell. Glad I stocked up on new plants before Brexit,
David

Latest posts

Back