Cattleya araguaiensis ‘Mister Cigar’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A species that along with dormaniana are thought to be the evolutionary bridge between the large cattleyas and the epidendrums of the Cattleya tribe. One look at their flowers, one can see remnants of their connections. From the reed stem bulbs to the epidendroid type flowers.

Here’s my version. I named him Mr. Cigar because he’s smoking a big blunt lol...

0E955560-4DC5-4697-8424-F1609A379011.jpeg97DCA341-4777-4182-9FD1-36C2E83ABDCE.jpeg

A species that along with dormaniana are thought to be the evolutionary bridge between the large cattleyas and the epidendrums of the Cattleya tribe. One look at their flowers, one can see remnants of their connections. From the reed stem bulbs to the epidendroid type flowers.

Here’s my version. I named him Mr. Cigar because he’s smoking a big blunt lol...

View attachment 22073View attachment 22075
I love it.

Leslie, you know I usually tend to veer between excited to exalted, when not downright seething with envy, when it comes to your flowers. I therefore hope you will foregive me, when I have to reserve my judgement about this one...

I think, it's a bit too laeliac/epidendric for my taste. I know, I sound a bit like that philistine emperor, who allegedly on one of Mozart's operas passed the judgement "Too many notes!" - and thus condemmed himself to eternal ridicule as an utter oaf and pompous ass! Well, I can't help it, but I like my laelias more cattleyish! 😁

Jens, you are definitely entitled to your tastes of flowers. I was not too fond of this type of blooms until I grew more bifoliate species. Only then through studying them did I appreciate the importance and difference of this one to start cultivating it. It serves more of a curiosity than a love, a sort of acknowledgment of it’s importance in the evolution of this tribe.

Plus when people see it in real life, they wonder in amazement the long ‘snout’ of the lip, like a Pinocchio of the Cattleyas.

I like it also, even without the back story. I am drawn to the unusual. Why do you think semi-hydro made a difference. Do you grow other Catts semi?
I now grow 80% of my cattleyas (even labiate and bifoliates) in swc because they dehydrate in 30% RH under my indoors growing. With this method, I get lots of roots and fat bulbs.

Back